GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 upgrade question

JWS3

I just bought a 2015 R. I see many members of the forum have APR upgrades. I am thinking about adding the stage 1 upgrade. Are there any downsides to doing this?

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
I heard that anything over stock HP requires another clutch most of the time, but that was just coming from another member. Might be worth researching that before hand. Thats for a MT of course. IDK if you have a DSG or not..

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I just bought a 2015 R. I see many members of the forum have APR upgrades. I am thinking about adding the stage 1 upgrade. Are there any downsides to doing this?

Yes. Yes there is. You see, after your stage 1 tune you will enjoy the added power for a while. But the thirst for more power will grow stronger with each passing day. First it's an intake. Then it's a down pipe. Before you know you it the floodgates will open and you will have spent $5k in mods. At that point you will say "screw it, what's another $5k? YOLO, bro. I'm going stage 7!"

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
OP, 2015? Did you get a mk7? If so wrong forum. If it is a '12 or '13 mk6 then yes stage 1 is cool but clutch will be needed. My clutch slipped in stock form. pressure plate is a piece of crap. If mk7, then DSG go get tuned.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
If OP has a mk7 R dear god yes please go stage 1

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Big problem they are having on the MK7s are blown motors & turbos (with and without tunes). I know of one person who has a MK7 GTI and has blown two motors/turbos due to faulty turbos and VW said not their problem because he's tuned. Food for thought until they figure it out.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Big problem they are having on the MK7s are blown motors & turbos (with and without tunes). I know of one person who has a MK7 GTI and has blown two motors/turbos due to faulty turbos and VW said not their problem because he's tuned. Food for thought until they figure it out.

I feel like you "hear" this a lot... but honestly - do it. You pay to play and its worth it if you enjoy driving.

I went stage 1 a few months after getting my mk6 and I went down the slippery slope, and you find these cars are engineered really well, and a ton of fun to drive.

Do it. Drive it. Enjoy it!

Muratti

Ready to race!
Yes. Yes there is. You see, after your stage 1 tune you will enjoy the added power for a while. But the thirst for more power will grow stronger with each passing day. First it's an intake. Then it's a down pipe. Before you know you it the floodgates will open and you will have spent $5k in mods. At that point you will say "screw it, what's another $5k? YOLO, bro. I'm going stage 7!"

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stinger

Ready to race!

demon_GR

Not sure about MK7 but I can say the stage 1 on my mk6 was great. Ran it for 2 years and finally gave into going stage 2+.

Also consider the DSG flash... its great

2inTheMorning

Ready to race!
I heard that anything over stock HP requires another clutch most of the time, but that was just coming from another member. Might be worth researching that before hand. Thats for a MT of course. IDK if you have a DSG or not..

I'm Stage 1 at 50,000 miles and still on the stock clutch.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion

GTI clutch < R clutch

On a GTI like you have, maybe so. On a Golf R, usually most guys stock R clutch can handle Stage 1.

FWIW Stage 1 for a year and no slippage with stock clutch, and that included a few (5-6) launches at a decent RPM and lots of twisties with aggressive up/downshifting. :iono: Plus when I got the car, I had not driven a manual in about 15 years, so I had to *almost* re-learn...

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
If 2015, and if blown turbos are a concern, get yourself a neuspeed power module for $400, easy to install and gains +50hp/tq.

Stage 1 is crazy on mk7 .:R, 0-60 is 3.5! :eek: