GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

questions about led tails

nature boy

Ready to race!
so i just bought a set of used led tails off craigslist. seller had no knowledge about them, claimed that he got them from a friend even though he never had a vw :iono:

anyway, i didn't care since i got them for a killer deal. i installed them tonight but i noticed a couple things after i was done. i searched around but i couldn't find definitive answers, so here are my two(ish) questions:

1. those end caps on the inners were missing, those things that cover the edge between the inners and outers. what do they do exactly? do i need them to keep out water and whatnot? if so, anyone know the part numbers and maybe i can just replace them with oems?

2. the set was with rear fog. i can't do anything about that, right? because the rear fog is soldered on that board, right? i can just wire it up to be a rear fog, but i would rather have two reverse lights.

all in all, i'm happy considering that it didn't cost me much. but i haven't driven with them yet so maybe i'll eat my words tomorrow...

thanks

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
as for the fog light if the bulb is not changeable it will always be red. If you can change it you can put a white bulb in to match the other reverse and both be normal.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
for starters... are thes used LED tails OEM or are they Rep's? might greatly affect the answers to your first questions...

nature boy

Ready to race!
for starters... are thes used LED tails OEM or are they Rep's? might greatly affect the answers to your first questions...

i don't know. as i said, the guy selling them had no idea and he just wanted to get them out of his out (hence the ultra low price). they fit really well and require coding. i didn't see any "hella" stamps or anything, but i also wasn't looking for them. what is a sure way of telling if they are reps or oem other than the stamp?

nagokart

Ready to race!

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
look on the lights for something that would say like "made in China" then you know there not OEM.

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't think those inner covers are sold separately. The rep ones will come off pretty easy if they even fit.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The trim pieces are just cosmetic and don’t play any part in sealing water out so you can use them without them without issue! Do they say HELLA in them anywhere? If so they are genuine, hella ones have a sticker the same as in the picture,

Edit: just noticed you said it doesn’t say hella!

A couple of pics for comparison may help though, is the fog a removable bulb or a non removable LED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I could be imagining it but don’t the halogen tails have the same trim pieces?

nature boy

Ready to race!
thanks for the replies, guys. the rear fog doesn't even have an access cover or anything. the reverse light i can see the actual plug and wires into it. on the rear fog it is just a immovable plastic plate in the same spot, so i guess i'll just have to wire it up one of these days.

the caps are different from the stock tails, although they work and snap on the same. the side of the actual lens part of the stock is much thicker than the led ones, so the stock would have much less plastic (less ground to cover) and the led would be thicker. i don't know if that makes sense but trust me, they don't fit (i was trying for like 5 minutes because i assumed it would but then i looked at the two side by side and saw how it just wouldn't).

I was assuming that the oem caps would be the same as the reps, and that i could just walk into a vw parts store and pick them up. they probably don't sell them separately at retail stores but i figured a dealership or something should carry them. but if they are purely cosmetic then i won't even bother.

another question about coding though, i got my hands on a vagcom and got rid of that cold diagnostic thing by changing byte 18 to 22 (as per the internet, i have halogen headlights and rear fog). i tested it and the flashing and stuff is gone, but the bulb out light is still there. i cleared the code and the indicator turned off, but when i unplugged everything it came back on again. is there another step that i'm missing?

thanks again.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
thanks for the replies, guys. the rear fog doesn't even have an access cover or anything. the reverse light i can see the actual plug and wires into it. on the rear fog it is just a immovable plastic plate in the same spot, so i guess i'll just have to wire it up one of these days.

the caps are different from the stock tails, although they work and snap on the same. the side of the actual lens part of the stock is much thicker than the led ones, so the stock would have much less plastic (less ground to cover) and the led would be thicker. i don't know if that makes sense but trust me, they don't fit (i was trying for like 5 minutes because i assumed it would but then i looked at the two side by side and saw how it just wouldn't).

I was assuming that the oem caps would be the same as the reps, and that i could just walk into a vw parts store and pick them up. they probably don't sell them separately at retail stores but i figured a dealership or something should carry them. but if they are purely cosmetic then i won't even bother.

another question about coding though, i got my hands on a vagcom and got rid of that cold diagnostic thing by changing byte 18 to 22 (as per the internet, i have halogen headlights and rear fog). i tested it and the flashing and stuff is gone, but the bulb out light is still there. i cleared the code and the indicator turned off, but when i unplugged everything it came back on again. is there another step that i'm missing?

thanks again.

I’m presuming you are left hand drive? If so I think you should be using a different value in the coding, possibly 15?

This may help!

nature boy

Ready to race!
yeah, left hand drive, canadian 2010 golf 2.5 sportline. looking at your list i'm actually thinking 04 is what i should try. there are so many diy's and a multitude of codes for various things, but i guess i can just try them all and see which one works...

thanks again

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
yeah, left hand drive, canadian 2010 golf 2.5 sportline. looking at your list i'm actually thinking 04 is what i should try. there are so many diy's and a multitude of codes for various things, but i guess i can just try them all and see which one works...

thanks again

I’m in the uk and use 04 so probably won’t work for you? I’ll have a look as I did have a different list but not sure if I’ll be able to find it any more,

Worth a shot though hey!