GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Ticking

Angry GTI

Hey guys, for the past few days I have noticed a very slight ticking or rattle from the engine under moderate acceleration. It almost sounds like a spray paint can being shaken around. Today on my drive home from work, the noise became much more consistent and louder. I slowly drove it to my dealership and left it there to be looked at in the morning. I'm pretty concerned in the meantime and am wondering if anybody has had a similar experience? Or could spread some knowledge on what the issue may be. Thanks!

CHerna

Ready to race!
Have you checked all of your fluids? Sounds like it could be the timing chain tensioner?

Angry GTI

Have you checked all of your fluids? Sounds like it could be the timing chain tensioner?

Yep, turns out I had a blown cam screen in conjunction with the timing chain tensioner crapping out. Quoted at $4500 to repair but they knocked a grand off. Gotta love German Engineering!

jkdiver

That's nightmarish,I'm so sorry.
Please don't be offended, but were you conscientious about oil changes? How many miles were on the car?
This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Yep, turns out I had a blown cam screen in conjunction with the timing chain tensioner crapping out. Quoted at $4500 to repair but they knocked a grand off. Gotta love German Engineering!

Shit. At that cost, you might as well look for another engine.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Please don't be offended, but were you conscientious about oil changes? How many miles were on the car?

Oil changes do not aide in preventing the tensioner failing. The only sure-fire way to prevent serious engine damage is to check what revision your tensioner is. We can gather it was revised in the 2012 model year. The clean point was likely designated by VIN, but none of us know what VIN (and after) are clean.

As I said, get it checked, if it's an old rev, get it replaced. You'll have piece of mind then.

Angry GTI

Yeah, oil changes typically around 7,500 miles. Car has just over 70,000 miles.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
That sucks, I just got my timing job done with the revised parts because I was worried about this, it was getting close to being off on mine too (almost 90k miles)

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^ op, sounds about right, but really i would look into finding a refurb engine or a takeout engine and drop it in for less dough.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion

Oil changes do not aide in preventing the tensioner failing. The only sure-fire way to prevent serious engine damage is to check what revision your tensioner is. We can gather it was revised in the 2012 model year. The clean point was likely designated by VIN, but none of us know what VIN (and after) are clean.

As I said, get it checked, if it's an old rev, get it replaced. You'll have piece of mind then.

They may not directly prevent failure, but low oil pressure may be a contributing factor to tensioner failure. Running the vehicle with low amounts of oil or not changing the oil often enough which might lead to poor engine oil viscosity are contributing factors to low pressure.

untotenmk6

Ready to race!
Sounds good on the price. AU did mine for 4k also.
Also they did it in like 3 days.
From the morning i dropped her off they diagnosed, found and installed
New engine. New to me. It had 30k on it.
Those guys know their stuff. And are fast also lol.

Last edited:

Angry GTI

Sounds good on the price. AU did mine for 4k also.
Also they did it in like 3 days.
From the morning i dropped her off they diagnosed, found and installed
New engine. New to me. It had 30k on it.
Those guys know their stuff. And are fast also lol.

My dealership was also impressive in their speed and skill! Within two weeks (Thanksgiving to boot!) they had completely taken apart the engine, put it back together, noted the issue was still there, ordered a new engine and installed it.

It also turns out I was just charged only for labor and the engine was covered under "goodwill" from VWoA.

Aaand for the happy ending, picked her up yesterday and she feels great! Taking it slow for now to properly break in the engine but feeling very ok with the outcome of this whole sh*tshow. I'm out $3800 but my engine just went from 70,512 miles to 0. Hoping for many more years with my baby :)