GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Gas prices

Uberryan

Banned
With the hurricane barreling through the gulf, and into Mississippi/Louisiana, and the drought over the mid-west, the speculators are causing prices to skyrocket with their Armageddon bullshittery.

I really wish we could go back to zero speculation on oil. We'd honestly see prices in the $2 range for quite a while. People would feel much more comfortable with spending, taking road trips, etc. Economy would get a nice boost like it did in 2008, when oil dropped way the fuck down, and prices were $1.98/gal for premium. Since I've held my license, I've never seen prices that low.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
With the hurricane barreling through the gulf, and into Mississippi/Louisiana, and the drought over the mid-west, the speculators are causing prices to skyrocket with their Armageddon bullshittery.

I really wish we could go back to zero speculation on oil. We'd honestly see prices in the $2 range for quite a while. People would feel much more comfortable with spending, taking road trips, etc. Economy would get a nice boost like it did in 2008, when oil dropped way the fuck down, and prices were $1.98/gal for premium. Since I've held my license, I've never seen prices that low.
Won't happen.

Why would they charge ppl $2.00 a gallon when they can charge close to $4.00 without demand taking any significant hit... Its all about supply and demand, sadly demand for gasoline is inelastic, so price fluctuations (up to a point) don't result in decreased/increased demand.

That said, this is why everyone should take personal steps to protect themselves from high gas prices. I ended up with a TDI... plenty of other fuel efficient options out there.

Buying a suburban now only to bitch that it costs $110 to fill up is just retarded.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Whatever happened to Irag and Kuwait? I thought the US helped liberate those two countries. I guess the less we know...the better off we are??

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
is it bad that i remember 80 cents a gallon?

$4.49 a gallon for 93 now and still rising.

Uberryan

Banned
Won't happen.

Why would they charge ppl $2.00 a gallon when they can charge close to $4.00 without demand taking any significant hit... Its all about supply and demand, sadly demand for gasoline is inelastic, so price fluctuations (up to a point) don't result in decreased/increased demand.

That said, this is why everyone should take personal steps to protect themselves from high gas prices. I ended up with a TDI... plenty of other fuel efficient options out there.

Buying a suburban now only to bitch that it costs $110 to fill up is just retarded.

Well outlawing speculation on necessities is a must. Again this opens the door to political banter, and who/what/when would be able to stop this. I believe Fuel should be declared a necessity, as long as every single fucking thing practically runs on it.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Has gone from $3.90 roughly up to $4.32 a gallon for 93 here.

The impending hurricane and a fire at a west coast refinery have likely both spooked up prices. The sad fact is the supply chain itself has not really been impacted yet. That could come later and prices could keep climbing.