GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Coolant temp up to 254°

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
Hey guys lately I've been posting here a lot seeking help with a bunch of little things. To give a bit of background info on my car I'm stage 2 tuned with APR and with an APR downpipe mated to the stock catback. I have a stage 1 APR intake and a rev d oem diverted valve. Those are all the mods I have.

So I drive about 30 miles home in bumper to bumper traffic after work and the other day we had a sunny day with the outdoor temp being ~85°F

I was stopping an going, only reaching speeds of 5-10 mph. I closed the windows and turned on the AC and about 15 minutes later I realized the air coming out wasn't cold. I looked down at the temp gauge and it was slightly above the 190 mark. Kept the AC on for another minute and the needle shots up. Not into the red zone but close to it. I checked my p3cars and it read 254°. I turned off the AC and it only dropped down to about 250. Traffic started to clear out and once I started moving faster above 20mph the car completely went back to normal temp and remained that way the whole way home.

Scared the hell out of me and this wasn't the first time it's happened either. The first of two times this has happened I can't remember if the AC was on but I turned on the heat full blast to bring it back to normal temp. Even when getting on it after that it stayed at normal temp even with the heat off.

Anyone know what this could be?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
fans not coming on?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
have you checked coolant reservoir, fill it up, and check for leaks under radiator? if you did, you joined the water pump club.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Definitely not normal.... as Cryptic suggested, check your fans, there may be a faulty sensor or motor there.

Also I'm assuming you already checked your coolant level? Water pump failures are extremely common on these cars.

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
Coolant level was a hair above the MIN line. Topped it off but I don't know if it'll happen again. Like I said it just happened twice and I can't seem to replicate it :/ how can I rule out water pump failure? I'm pretty sure the fan works since I hear it come on from time to time and when the car shuts off sometimes it still runs for a few minutes after.

jjohns1508

Ready to race!
on a normal vehicle if you turn on the A/C the fans will come on. If the temp drops then it is probably a coolant temp sensor. If the coolant level is low there is a leak. I would rule out a clogged radiator becuase your car is not old.

I would pressure test the system and look for a leak. If you have no leaks I would replace the "radiator" cap. if it's failing it will release pressure causing your system to boil at a lower temp. Plus their cheap to replace