GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5l owners and their desire to prove themselves to the 2.0t crowd?

Gray Bishop

i <3 my 2.5 i dont care if its not as fast as a GTI..... non car related folks still thinks its a GTI LOL

for the record I was joking earlier, hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings

Burbank I picked my girl up earlier and on the way home she pointed to an MKV 2.5 2 door and said, babe thats your car............. nuff said
:mad0259:

Uberryan

Banned

Burbank I picked my girl up earlier and on the way home she pointed to an MKV 2.5 2 door and said, babe thats your car............. nuff said

So she's your ex now?

zhijjawi10

Go Kart Champion

hahaha when my girl says that, I give her the -___- face.

phencar

I recently purchased the 2012 2.5 and the big difference to me was obviously the price and the few mpg better in the 2.5. No doubt the GTI looks better. Then again I was buying a car after driving in a yaris for 3 years so the 2.5 seems like it has a lot of power to me.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the Golf's fuel economy leaves a lot to be desired. Certainly an odd ball where the performance turbo charged trim does better than the base. And the competition it's up against is hitting 40mpg these days.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Well big, heavy, 2.5 5cyl vs a smaller, direct injection 2.0 4cyl. No surprises on MPG.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
The MPG is actually better on the GTI, true story.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Volkswagen2012.shtml

The manual Golf gets better mileage than the manual GTI. The DSG GTI gets better than the automatic Golf. So they are basically tied, LOL.

The fuel economy of the 2.5 Golf could be a little better, but then again it has 170hp where most other small cars in its class have less. I average 30mpg and am happy enough with that.

Like previous posters have said I wish GTI's were cheaper in Canada, they are priced pretty high here.

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
My friend's 2010 2.5 Automatic Golf definitely gets slightly better MPG than my 2011 2.0T Manual GTI. I think you can also fill the 2.5 with regular, so the 2.5 is probably a little bit better than the GTI when it comes to fuel costs.

jaja123

Ready to race!
I mostly bought the car for its looks, interior quality, sexy 5 cylinder sound and refined driving dynamics. I have removed rear seats, spare, tools, trunk liner, cover and my car weighs 2700 with 1 gallon of gas, intake, straight through magnaflow, mount, dg springs, eibach rear swaybar. With that I am dead even with my bosses 2006 gli mt and the numbers can prove that I would be. I put down 163whp on a dyno dynamics which is 16.56lbs per hp. Gli from that year is 185-195whp. gli is 3353 in weight which is 17.64lb per hp plus my boss is pretty big and im a skinny little kid. I went to the scale with my friends 09 wrx and his was 3180lbs which is accurate so 2700 is no bs. I would still get eaten though if the gti/gli owner spent 500$ on a tune however. Thats why my next car is gonna be a gti but I got my golf for another 5 years. Who knows what vw will have then.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2006-volkswagen-jetta-gli-road-test
Note I timed a 0-60 of 6.9 in my car and the test for the gli was a 7.1 I have a vid of my 0-60 if you want that

Last edited: