GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SPM CBE any drone?

alvinli217

Ready to race!
i have drone at 2k - 3k rpm...especially at highway cruising speed of 100~110km/hr with my full SPM street turboback.

had it on my car for 2 months and couldn't stand the annoying drone at highway speed so i went with APR RSC full turboback. even though the SPM exhaust note sounds better but can't beat the RSC technology for cruising speed noise level

Last edited:

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I have the Street CBE but with a track j-pipe. I've done some tests at different RPM ranges in 5th and 6th gear, and aside from during acceleration, it's very subtle and civilized. Step on it, though, and it's like ass-n-titties blasting on full bass.

Totally agree. Street TBE sounds amazing and is perfect in every way except that drone in 5th or 6th under load. I tried living with it but couldn't. Ended up with smaller diameter and 400 cell catted & resonated awe downpipe mated to the spm street cat back. The drone under load while in 5th and 6th is maybe 1/2 of what it was now. Much easier to deal with so I think I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

are you f*cking kidding me!? NOW you guys speak up? Right after I paid for this thing? Literally everybody said no drone and then you 2 come in here right after I pay for the thing yesterday and say its so obnoxious you cant stand it....WTF

Last edited:

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
are you fucking kidding me!? NOW you guys speak up? Right after I paid for this thing? Literally everybody said no drone and then you 2 come in here right after I pay for the thing yesterday and say its so obnoxious you cant stand it....WTF

Huh? Numerous threads out there and I actually replied to this thread earlier saying the same thing basically.

Also, exhaust tone and drone is very subjective. Just because I couldn't take what I perceived to be drone at certain times with it, doesn't mean you will. Plenty of people who have zero complaints about it also.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Huh? Numerous threads out there and I actually replied to this thread earlier saying the same thing basically.

Also, exhaust tone and drone is very subjective. Just because I couldn't take what I perceived to be drone at certain times with it, doesn't mean you will. Plenty of people who have zero complaints about it also.

Good exhaust tone is subjective, drone is not. Throw some change in the cup holder and if the exhaust note rattles the coins, that is drone. How bad of drone someone is willing to live with is up to the individual.

Naw, nobody said anything like what you 2 just said.....your saying this after the fact

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Good exhaust tone is subjective, drone is not. Throw some change in the cup holder and if the exhaust note rattles the coins, that is drone. How bad of drone someone is willing to live with is up to the individual.

I've heard arguments on whether drone is the buzzing at any and all speeds or just buzzing at a specific point. For me, drone is where its a prolonged buzzing at a specific point. To be clear, I don't feel the SPM drones anywhere other than under load in 5th or 6th gear in the 2-3500 rpm range. Anything loose in my car buzzes at that point.

Naw, nobody said anything like what you 2 just said.....your saying this after the fact

I posted this just a few posts/days earlier than the one today:

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1311293&postcount=20

Plus, you can't expect everyone to be read every thread and not miss one they could have chipped in on.

We'll just have to wait and see....no turning back now

Agreed. Put it on and see for yourself. You might not care about the stuff we're talking about. Or if you haven't bought yet, then meet up with some local members who have the setup you want. Forum posts and even online videos only tell you so much.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I really like the way the SPM exhausts sound. I would trade my entire setup for one because I'm looking for less noise than the Magna. I will admit though, the magna sounds badass.

Hwcn

Ready to race!
are you fucking kidding me!? NOW you guys speak up? Right after I paid for this thing? Literally everybody said no drone and then you 2 come in here right after I pay for the thing yesterday and say its so obnoxious you cant stand it....WTF

Posted when I saw the thread. Have posted numerous times since installing the exhaust a year ago about the unbearable drone on the highway.

Issue of SPM drone vs. no drone covered many times. So are you f...ing kidding that you didn't do a simple search before pulling the trigger on your purchase?

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
You said cat back, not turbo back. The drone on just the catback is minimal. Whether or not you got tbe or cbe will definitely affect how much drone you have

alvinli217

Ready to race!

don't worry too much man, maybe you can tolerance the drone especially you can control the rpm a bit better since your car is MT:thumbsup:

overall it's a great exhaust setup especially with the V-band connection. most other brands including my APR turboback setup with slip on connection always seem to have really tiny bit of exhaust leak from the joint which i didn't have at all with the SPM setup.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Dont worry about the Hong Kong guy's review, this exhaust will not drone hardly at all unless you run a full track setup with a catless dp. If you run a street midpipe and resonated Jpipe with track rear, almost zero drone. Btw, my highway noise like I stated earlier is nearly nothing, even when I get on it above 60mph, all i hear is sex, not drone. So my guess is hong kong man either had a full track setup or had a shit installation. :iono:

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
I got a video of my setup...:

A few things to note: by mashing I really meant 50%... and the slight buzzing you hear when I step on it is a little keychain I have in the tray below the cigarette lighter.

As the video says - pretty civilized!