GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI Twincharger (160) Stage 1 / 2

blower

Ready to race!
Further to the throttle sensitivity problems I had with moving off the line being a bit of a jump.....I've also had some jerky 2nd gear movement especially in stop start traffic. Also had some rough shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd down to 2nd when driving around normally.

I had none of this before the remap..

So I thought I should do a DSG clutch readaption / Basic settings as per http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/7-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/0AM)

I performed that and followed the test drive...after driving round for a while the box has smoothed out completely. Moving off the line is a lot smoother without the sudden clunk of the clutch kicking in. No more rough shifts (so far) and generally its shifting a lot more smoothly, especially at lower speeds / throttle.

Looks like after you put a map on with this much torque increase and other stuff fiddled with such as throttle response - that a dsg re-adaption should be done to relearn clutch pressures, slip pressure & time during shifts & general shift strategies.

blower

Ready to race!
TCS was off ....with it on I get one heavy bang (violent jerk as you say) as the traction control kicks in when it starts to slip - it slams the brakes on, cuts the power and then puts it back on.

With it off i'm just getting wheel hop which i'm not surprised with when you look at the torque curve on this map. I've got Michelin crossclimates on the front and they are very grippy, but when they do eventually give way and slip it looks like they hop.

If I had normal summer tyres on i'd just get a massive continuous spin and a slightly worse 0-60 time.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
TCS was off ....with it on I get one heavy bang (violent jerk as you say) as the traction control kicks in when it starts to slip - it slams the brakes on, cuts the power and then puts it back on.

With it off i'm just getting wheel hop which i'm not surprised with when you look at the torque curve on this map. I've got Michelin crossclimates on the front and they are very grippy, but when they do eventually give way and slip it looks like they hop.

If I had normal summer tyres on i'd just get a massive continuous spin and a slightly worse 0-60 time.

Possibly worn engine mounts?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
interesting. subbed.

blower

Ready to race!
This arrived a few days ago:

:D

blower

Ready to race!
As some other people have found, install on golf mk6 1.4TSI twinchargers can be tricky. Firstly you need a angled torx key to get to the bottom bolt (which I did not have), I therefore had to remove vacuum hoses from the turbo charger to get more clearance for a 1/4" ratchet and torx bit:

The tricky bolt on the bottom side of the DV:

Secondly the PCV pipe on the mk6 twinchargers is different to the mk5 shown in GFB's videos - it gets in the way of the connector from the DV solenoid. You can make it fit if you force it, alternatively I trimmed away some of the plastic on top of the connecter - a temporary fix which I am not happy with. The connector is very hard to unlock and pull out now, will fit a new one once I sort the problem out...

I'm in the process of making a custom catch can and will be replacing sections of the stock PCV, whilst doing that i'm going to reroute that PCV piping so its out the way of the DV solenoid connector and also gets out of the way of the cylinder 1 coil pack - saving me having to remove the PCV every time I want to change/check sparks.

The DV fully assembled with stock solenoid:

Assembly was easy, and install was fine once I got all the hoses out the way. Thankfully the new bolts for the DV are allen hex, so I could use a normal allen key to tighten the bottom bolt.

blower

Ready to race!
Have had the DV+ in for a couple of days now, and been giving the car a damn good thrashing.

First impressions are better throttle response, as expected coming on and off the gas has improved in mid and upper end. I also think it might have improved boost pressure or at least spool up - acceleration feels to have a bit more kick in a 2nd gear WOT from 30mph, possibly old valve was leaking a small amount under full boost.

I have done logging prior to the DV+ install, and was seeing peak actual boost pressures of 1.6 bar (23 psi).

I will do some more extensive logging when it stops bloody raining, see if I can get a chart of my boost pressure across rpm range with specified vs actual.

Have had no physical issues with the DV+, its working well with no turbo flutter / funkiness. I do have a soft fault code P2261 being logged in VCDS - but this was expected, GFB warned this may happen if you use their piston spring which regulates boost pressure release rather than dump it all at once. Its not caused an issue, no EML or limp mode etc - just a code logged. Doesn't bother me - i'd rather the improved response when modulating the throttle.

Also no noticeable different noises from the engine bay - I am on stock air box at the moment though.

blower

Ready to race!
Contrary to my post above - i have been getting issues after i fitted the DV+.

Same day i fitted it i had a misfire EML on a hard 2nd gear WOT pull. I put it down to the sparks which i have been experimenting with the last few days (more on that later).

So i put the BKR7EIX back in, gapped them to 0.65-0.7mm and thought all was good.

However day later i had another misfire EML on hard 3rd gear pull.....its on random cylinders - first 1 &3 and now 2. So its nothing specific to a particular cylinder.

I have noticed the misfire occurs if i go WOT after not long starting the car up (say a few minutes of driving) - but it is up to coolant temperature from a previous non WOT run. It doesn't do it after a good bit of driving or if i give it a run but not WOT at first and then start doing some tearing around with full throttle.

Prior to the DV+ install i had no misfires.
I have a theory on why the DV+ appears to be causing misfires:

The DV+, with their piston spring to regulate boost pressure is putting more boost in momentarily when doing full throttle than is expected by the ECU map. This exactly how it improves throttle response, by not venting all the boost pressure when you go off a throttle or in this case kickdown gear change down when i stamp my foot to the floor.

GFB DV+ boost chart shows this is what happens when you do a full throttle request, for 0.5 seconds it ends up providing more boost than you would have with the factory DV. Now the ECU is only putting in X amount of fuel during this period - so for this time it will run leaner. This is why some people with the DV+ have had system too lean soft codes.

So i'm at full WOT, max boost request and the engine is running momentarily leaner for a short period - and bang i get misfires right when this happens, i.e. the 0.5 seconds after a kick down gear change. With a DSG, a gear down shift is a momentary release of throttle (close throttle body plate) and then reopen...and also a open DV valve at same time. Ecu is expecting a boost pressure drop and is simply not getting it due to the DV+ gradual boost release mechanism.

These engines at the best of times are close to misfiring - which is simply down to having high boost pressures at WOT, on sparks that are likely to carbon foul due to low cylinder temperatures during normal driving, with lean mixtures and of course stock gap sizes being a bit too big on the sparks.

Now add in a stage 1 (closer to stage 2 for the new APR map), pushing 23psi boost pressures, and a scenario where the electrode tip is not up to temperature and all it takes is a boost pressure spike on a lean mixture and hey presto - misfires!

For those that don't know the following conditions make it harder for a spark plug to fire - i.e. misfire:

-Higher air density (boost pressure)
-Increased gap size
-Lower electrode temperature
-Leaner air fuel mixture
-Higher humidity
-Lower discharge voltage (underrated or weak coil pack)

Forgot to mention it was also a bit wet, i.e. high humidity.
I have a scenario which meets most of those conditions when i am getting a misfire.

I have yet to pull the DV+ out to prove that it is that, and will do so shortly to prove the theory.

Long term solution should be to run the DV+ without the extra spring - making it operate like a OEM DV, but with ability to hold boost pressure better without leaking. Pity as will loose the throttle response gain - altho it was small.

Alternatively i am looking to get Audi R8 coilpacks at some point with an adapter plate for the 1.4TSI - they have a much higher discharge voltage which will alleviate all the above conditions causing a misfire.

Last edited:

blower

Ready to race!
Have taken the piston spring out of the DV+ and am still getting misfires under WOT in 3rd/4th gear.

Have been thinking back to some anomalies i've had since putting the map on - i've noticed what felt like misfires a few times under WOT when accelerating on the motorway, from say 60mph.

Each time it has been raining and i thought it was traction control kicking in - but thinking back it just didnt feel like that - it felt like a misfire. Today when i tested i felt the same thing, this time the EML came on.

Every time i have had a EML misfire it has been raining. When i have been tearing around before installing the DV+ it was dry.

I do think the DV+ has made things worse as its become more frequent, but i'm beginning to think its exacerbating an existing issue. Seems i get misfires when its raining at full throttle...and this being the UK its a fine misty rain that would be shooting the intake humidity right up.

Switching the map back to stock resulted in no misfires at all at full throttle and none of that 'missy' feeling i got - and this was in the pouring rain.

Well i was concerned this might happen, 1.6-1.7 bar boost pressures, plugs operating on the edge of their limits, crappy VW coil packs and an engine that generally runs lean (compared to other tuned engines). Seems all you need to do is add a bit of rain and thats it, it craps out with misfires at full load.

So with that i have ordered this lot:

Thats Audi R8 coil packs and an adapter plate for the 1.4 TSI engine :) - i need a greater discharge voltage and those coil packs are the only way to go.

Last edited:

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
That adapter looks sweet! With respect to the R8 coilpacks does the car send a higher voltage thru them knowingly? Or is it just a feature of the R8 coil packs that it sends a higher voltage by design?

blower

Ready to race!
That adapter looks sweet! With respect to the R8 coilpacks does the car send a higher voltage thru them knowingly? Or is it just a feature of the R8 coil packs that it sends a higher voltage by design?

The coil packs (or should I say pencil coils as they are not really a 'coil pack') are basically electronic inverters - the ECU just sends a digital pulse signal to them and then that is stepped up to a very high voltage.

The R8 coils are supposed to create a higher output voltage (discharge voltage) compared to the standard pencil coils - this should produce a stronger spark.

I say 'supposed' as all we have to go on is some apparent tests that hstuning done where they said they produced a visibly stronger spark when they tested them. The only reason I question their tests - as they also try to compare 'coil packs' (standard, r8 and okadas) by measuring their output resistance - this measurement is meaningless for this type of coil, it doesn't compare to the coil packs of old secondary coil resistance - simply because their is no direct secondary output coil that you can measure on a pencil coil as they are electronic switching inverters, they have output transistors and measure many megaohms of resistance - a value that is completely meaningless.

http://www.hstuning.com/blog/project-cars/r8-ignition-coil-packs/

Still they are probably better than stock and many a GTI owner has said it has fixed misfiring issues and are more reliable. Plus they look pretty :D