GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
You re used the cover?

Nope, new OEM cover, new TTY bolts, everything done properly. Retightened a few bolts and it's still leaking, as expected. This sucks!

I'm tempted to carefully pull the cover, using an xacto blade to cut the gasket material, in hopes of re-using it. Shame to toss it..

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
What sealant did you go with? Is there an actual gasket out there to silicone on?

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
What sealant did you go with? Is there an actual gasket out there to silicone on?

I used the VW black liquid stuff in the caulk-gun tube. The only thing I can figure is there wasn't enough in the specific area. It's leaking at the crease between the oil pan and block. Was fine at idle, but leaks noticeably when the crankcase pressure builds while driving.

losojoslocos

How to remove the serpentine belt tensioner? Got the pulley off but the tensioner is in the way of removing the timing cover. I only see one little torx bolt but it doesn't look like it holds anything on.

rewnpdx

Hey All, I have read this thread like 10 times, anyone have links to pictures from the first post. They all have the p500 Photobucket warning. I was hoping to get some insight on this.

My GTI is throwing p0016 without any other codes, it also drives great (I had a EGR CEL and didn't notice the p0016 at first, could this be just the Tensioner is worn, or has it for sure skipped time?

Any way I could get away with just pulling the Pulley/Cover and swapping the tensioner without risking the timing?

bmanc42

Passed Driver's Ed
If you use chrome on a desktop or Firefox ion mobile they both have an add on that will show the pictures. Google photobucket fix

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Back from the dead bump, looks like photobucket pulled their collective heads out of their asses and now my DIY works again.

Cheers.