GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone ever walnut blast their own intake valves?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
maybe talk to Jay he does a lot of work on these cars.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I looked into it. I don't like the idea of spending that much on what is essentially a single-use tool, so I think you're better off just paying a shop to do it.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I looked into it. I don't like the idea of spending that much on what is essentially a single-use tool, so I think you're better off just paying a shop to do it.

I don't know.... 2 TSi's at the house plus a couple buddies of mine... might pay off in the long run knowing stealership charges mucho for the work... hmmm long term investment pays off

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
dealer wanted $800 for it. dont feel like buying a tool that ill use maybe once ever either.
well if you buy your own you'll be able to do it 3x based on what the dealer charges no? It's something i'm considering to try on my own as i'm sure i'll be replacing the intake soon as the runners crap out. itching to try doing it on my own :D:D:D:D

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
DaveGLI said:
..I did it to mine... its not as bad as you think it is.

I just think it's not worth buying the media blasting equipment if I'm only going to use it once.

I don't know.... 2 TSi's at the house plus a couple buddies of mine... might pay off in the long run knowing stealership charges mucho for the work... hmmm long term investment pays off

Makes more sense for you. I've just got the one car that might need it, so I'll only have occasion to use it once. For the $250 plus media, plus having another big tool taking up storage space, I'd rather just get in there with picks and brushes if I'm going to do the job myself.

Does that BMW vacuum attachment fit our cars, too? I would have thought the ports were a different size/shape.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I just think it's not worth buying the media blasting equipment if I'm only going to use it once.

I mean... then dont buy it?

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I hadn't my valves cleaned about 4 months ago. Guy said that the walnut makes a mess everywhere. He uses brushes only.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say it's worth getting. I do italian tune ups to burn off carbon, but this tool is on my wishlist. It works on all direct-injection cars, you would probably end up using it a few times unless you just lease.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would say it's worth getting. I do italian tune ups to burn off carbon, but this tool is on my wishlist. It works on all direct-injection cars, you would probably end up using it a few times unless you just lease.
those types of tune ups dont work for carbon lol. But yeah

Hockeyfan1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been thinking about this too. Seems like a guy could source the tools and do the work but... single use. :/

Shop local to me found a shop vac attachment that has an opening for the end of a media blaster. Has a custom fit adapter so that it seals against the opening. I think I'm leaning that way. When I start getting cold start misfires I'll look into it further, but I'm not far off I think

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk