GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New oil pan? Or drain plug?

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm new to MK6 family' I bought a 2012.
I went to get an oil change and he mechanic told me that there's some leaking going on.... Got under the car and this is what I found'. It's leaking from the plug it self' and it had a little rust around it, also realized that the plug is not factory I think' what should I do? Change just the plug and washers? Or at this point buy the whole pan? Thanks. I'll post a video of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
get a oem plug and washer.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Like has been said, get an oem plug & crush washer. Hopefully that will take care of you. If the threads are buggered up then it's new pan time. I'd guess the oem plug & crush washer should fix you up.

Last edited:

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Like has been said, get an oem plug & crush washer. Hopefully that will take care of you. If the treads are buggered up then it's new pan time. I'd guess the oem plug & crush washer should fix you up.

Thanks!! I will try and change it today and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The plug is not a one time use, but the crush washer sure is. Lots of oil change places don't replace the crush washer. Plus many screw up the threads & then jamb a self tapping plug in there to cover their mistake. That's why I always do my own oil changes.

My local dealer does topside oil changes, but I still do it myself.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The plug is not a one time use, but the crush washer sure is. Lots of oil change places don't replace the crush washer. Plus many screw up the threads & then jamb a self tapping plug in there to cover their mistake. That's why I always do my own oil changes.

My local dealer does topside oil changes, but I still do it myself.
most of the time the crush washer wont come off the old plug so you need to replace the plug too. lol If it was properly crushed.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
If one can't remove the crush washer from a drain plug they should hang up their wrenches. The first oil change is hard due to the washer & plug being held together with paint. After that it's a snap.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
If one can't remove the crush washer from a drain plug they should hang up their wrenches. The first oil change is hard due to the washer & plug being held together with paint. After that it's a snap.
dunno what you are talking about or im just too strong(using a torque wrench) but my crush washer was literally not able to pass by the threads after it was crushed/used... I had to snip at it with tin snips for a bit to get the old one off to be able to even use the bolt again as i had not bought another bolt only a new washer.

They call them CRUSH washers for a reason, as in the crush and spread out a tiny bit to make a seal..

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Guess we'll both be confused. Never had one get stuck on.
yeah not sure it surprised me too but i never checked the others because all the other oil change kits i bought came with a new bolt... i bough this other one as separate parts and left off the plug.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Make sure the drain plug is torqued properly. Don't ask me how I know.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Guess we'll both be confused. Never had one get stuck on.

yeah not sure it surprised me too but i never checked the others because all the other oil change kits i bought came with a new bolt... i bough this other one as separate parts and left off the plug.

IMO, if you're torquing the oil drain plug so much that the crush washer can't be removed from the bolt, you're using the wrong spec or just going at it too hard.

I know what you mean about the crush washer being crushed and spreading though...every time I've done mine, it is a little tough to take it off the bolt, but I've never had to cut it; usually just work it around a few threads with minimal effort.

To the OP, as has been suggested multiple times already, I'd obviously start with an OEM bolt and washer and go from there.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
IMO, if you're torquing the oil drain plug so much that the crush washer can't be removed from the bolt, you're using the wrong spec or just going at it too hard.

I know what you mean about the crush washer being crushed and spreading though...every time I've done mine, it is a little tough to take it off the bolt, but I've never had to cut it; usually just work it around a few threads with minimal effort.

To the OP, as has been suggested multiple times already, I'd obviously start with an OEM bolt and washer and go from there.

i Dunno i torque it to 22ft lbs per grambles recomendations.

OHHH you know what i think the dealer did my last oil change... and those mo fos are ass holes and probably did 2 DDIIIGUGGGAs on it which means they probably over torqued it because it was a bitch to get off.