GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise when coasting at low speeds - help!

mjw

I'm new to the forum - looking for some help with a noise I've got with my 2010 TDI DSG. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front wheels - it sounds like the wheels are rubbing against the wheel arch as the noise changes with the speed of the car. There's no way the wheels are rubbing on anything though.

The noise only seems to be there when coasting at slowish speeds and goes when accelerating. It's there going in a straight line and with the wheels turned.

Not sure if it's anything to do with the wheels i've just fitted - upgrading from 16" with 205/55 tyres to 17" wheels off another MK6 golf with 225/45. I've put the wheels with the best tread on the front. (Read about cupped tyres on the forum but wouldn't this cause a noise at all speeds?)

I've checked all the wheel bolts - all tight. My local garage took a look and didn't know what it was and said it needed to go to a VW dealer, which I did - they heard the noise but don't know either so it's going in for a couple of days later this week.

I've read every thread on the forum that refers to noises and have checked everything I can think of. I'd rather have an idea of what it could be when I take it into the dealer

Any suggestions?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
are you on stock suspension?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
besides the tire width, was there a significant change in the offset for the new wheels?

mjw

I don't think so - I went from the stock 16" 6.5J to 17"7J. The offset is ET54 - just looked it up, but can't find out what the offset was for my 16" - in the UK brochure they're called 'Croft'

ahhduma

Ready to race!
I'm new to the forum - looking for some help with a noise I've got with my 2010 TDI DSG. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front wheels - it sounds like the wheels are rubbing against the wheel arch as the noise changes with the speed of the car. There's no way the wheels are rubbing on anything though.

The noise only seems to be there when coasting at slowish speeds and goes when accelerating. It's there going in a straight line and with the wheels turned.

Not sure if it's anything to do with the wheels i've just fitted - upgrading from 16" with 205/55 tyres to 17" wheels off another MK6 golf with 225/45. I've put the wheels with the best tread on the front. (Read about cupped tyres on the forum but wouldn't this cause a noise at all speeds?)

I've checked all the wheel bolts - all tight. My local garage took a look and didn't know what it was and said it needed to go to a VW dealer, which I did - they heard the noise but don't know either so it's going in for a couple of days later this week.

I've read every thread on the forum that refers to noises and have checked everything I can think of. I'd rather have an idea of what it could be when I take it into the dealer

Any suggestions?
do you have things embedded in the channels of the tires?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
so half an inch wider rim and 20mm wider tires, I wonder if they are rubbing? its only from the fronts, and both of them?

mjw

It sounds like just from the fronts - driving along with the windows down and head out the window (looking like an idiot), that's what it sounds like. I didn't think I'd need any spacers going from my 16" to 17" as the wheels I've got are standard on the GT model. Was that naive?

When I put my hands down the back of the wheels, I can just get 2 fingers between the wheel rim and shock