GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 or air charge/discharge pipes?

dcpppf

Ready to race!
So I'm in the mood for my next mod. Not sure if I should go with a downpipe or the charge/discharge (throttle body/turbo outlet) pipes. I see there is a group buy for the neuspeed pipes.

I suppose my concerns are that I think the gains from the DP and pipes will be similar; the biggest difference will be the sound of the DP which I'm not sure if it is worth the price difference...

Pabss

Ready to race!
dp

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Stg 2

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
dp without a question. with the pipes its really a max of 5-7 hp at most. dp without a tune give you a good 10+ i would say. with a tune its gameover.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
hahaha... this seems a tad one sided... thanks for the input

808bahn

Ready to race!
DP. Even on stock tune, the car pulls more readily towrads the upper RPM and turbo spool up is more responsive.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 kills torque below 2500 rpm with a 3" DP, not a lot of people seem to be acknowledging that, or maybe it's just the crazy top end power that has people failing to mention it/ notice it. My turbo spooled up much nicer at low rpms stage 1, stage 2 has noticeable lag at lower rpms. Stage 1 was better for normal street driving imo, stage 2 is a night and day difference above 3k and just pulls much harder when you floor it, and this is really what most people are looking for when they tune their car, but stage 2 does have it's draw backs, it's not all sunshine and rainbows like people are making it out to be. The mid and top end power is well worth it stage 2, but it is a bit of a sacrifice in normal acceleration compared to stage 1. A big reason I personally got my GTI was the excellent gas mileage, there were plenty of other faster cars I could of gotten. Most of the time I'm not flooring it, I like having the power there when I want it, but I almost feel like I should have stayed stage 1, there were no noticeable penalties on that tune, whereas stage 2 is a noticeable loss in the rpms where I do most of my driving.

Plus are you DSG or MT? I'm sure you know if you're MT that if you go stage 2, you will probably have to replace your clutch in the nearish future.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Yeah I'm in a 6 speed and plan on a new clutch eventually.

Thanks for the input on the low end. Im the same way where normally I keep the car under 3k just bc I still shoot for 30+ mpg on the way to/from work. The thought of adding lag isn't too pleasant...