GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic 1+ '11 GTI DSG Vs Stock '96 Porsche 911 Carrera 2

BeZeds

So my girlfriends dad bought a 96 Porsche, and ever since I've been kind of curious who would pull faster from a stop, and from a roll.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
CSB.... bro. bro..... brah.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
So my girlfriends dad bought a 96 Porsche, and ever since I've been kind of curious who would pull faster from a stop, and from a roll.

If I have the specs right on the Carrera, it should around 5.3s 0-60 and 13.6-13.8s 1/4 mile.

I've done 5.4, I've seen quite a few other guys do 5.4, I'm far from a professional, so I'd say it's not too hard to do. We also have guys that are not professional, not running slicks, hit 13.5-13.6 with similar tunes. We also have guys that are good that have gone as fast as 12.6 with slicks. From all that, I'd say that from a dig, you'd probably be hard pressed to win, these cars don't do digs well. From a roll you should pull on him slightly. Hard to say because some older cars like that don't have a lot of data available on them, no one is putting youtube videos up of that car, I don't see any forum posts about it (briefly searched, I'm sure someone somewhere has something on it).

All said and done, this is paper racing, and what actually happens could be wildly different depending on how good/bad each of you drive.

;)

Last edited:

BeZeds

I let him take out my GTI one night to "go pick up pizza" after I had it tuned. He went and got the Porsche two weeks later.

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
I have a 97 Carrera 4S. My stage 2 GTI ain't even close.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I have a 97 Carrera 4S. My stage 2 GTI ain't even close.

Isn't close in what way? If your Carrera is that much faster than your GTI, something is wrong with your GTI. I don't doubt the AWD Carrera (and to a lesser extend, the RWD version) is probably faster off the line, but from a roll, they are almost identical in weight to hp and should be pretty close to similar, especially given the info I found putting the Carrera at a 13.6 1/4 (in regards to OP's car, since that's what the discussion is about). Even with yours, it shouldn't be that far off. Not to mention that it's likely not going to dyno at the original 282hp since it's 20 years old, unless the engine was recently rebuilt or there are mods in question.