GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Dyno Results

FriggenT1

Banned
OP, there is no reason with that turbo being a hybrid k04 that you couldn't make better numbers. Giac will adjust a tune for you, but I would not switch over to some place like APR, they have enough of their own problems, asnd it's an expensive switch. Take a quick look at the 1/4 times and trap speeds. Giac has all of the top k04 times. You will need the datalogs though, get those and send them into GIAC. I'm sure they'll get your numbers up. Also, a list of your mods will help.

danman1280

OP, there is no reason with that turbo being a hybrid k04 that you couldn't make better numbers. Giac will adjust a tune for you, but I would not switch over to some place like APR, they have enough of their own problems, asnd it's an expensive switch. Take a quick look at the 1/4 times and trap speeds. Giac has all of the top k04 times. You will need the datalogs though, get those and send them into GIAC. I'm sure they'll get your numbers up. Also, a list of your mods will help.

Yeah, that's what I keep coming back to. I just joined the forum so I guess I should put this is my sig. But currently i have a HPA K04, GIAC H/O 93oct tune, Stage 2 DSG from GIAC, CTS turbo turbo-back 3" exhaust, Unitronic FMIC, AWE TOP. R8 coils, and K&N typhoon intake.

So GIAC can make adjustments to my tune based on my logs? What are the typical boost levels for this tune? I keep seeing people spiking anywhere from 22psi being the low end (which is where I spike.) to 26psi all on the same tune and then settling to 20-21 psi. I drop to 19-18psi.

Thanks again everyone to all your help. It sounds like 300whp is something that I should be able to reach with what I have.

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah, that's what I keep coming back to. I just joined the forum so I guess I should put this is my sig. But currently i have a HPA K04, GIAC H/O 93oct tune, Stage 2 DSG from GIAC, CTS turbo turbo-back 3" exhaust, Unitronic FMIC, AWE TOP. R8 coils, and K&N typhoon intake.

So GIAC can make adjustments to my tune based on my logs? What are the typical boost levels for this tune? I keep seeing people spiking anywhere from 22psi being the low end (which is where I spike.) to 26psi all on the same tune and then settling to 20-21 psi. I drop to 19-18psi.

Thanks again everyone to all your help. It sounds like 300whp is something that I should be able to reach with what I have.

Your IC is a larger core, so you won't get much more than 22 psi since the air is cooler, thus more dense. It's possible GIAC can up the WGDC and get 1 or 2 more psi out of it. However, the good news is that if the HPA spring pressure is higher, you can up the boost more than one with a stock, or smaller IC.

Yes, GIAC will make adjustments to the tune. You're a paying customer, so I'd get some logs, send it to them, and have them adjust whatever can be to make the tune more aggressive. Call and talk to them though, let them know your setup, find out from HPA what the cracking pressure is set for. Tell them you want to send some logs to them, and have the tune adjusted accordingly, and have them send an updated file to your tuner.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I ran the GIAC tune on my MKV K04 setup and I was 301/297 on a dynoject with 91 octane and water meth single nozzle.

Later switched to more aggressive tune and dual nozzle water meth and 91oct and was 336/335 on same dyno. Tuner later added more advance but was unable to get back to dyno. Now K04 is off the car but I am sure I was in 340s somewhere when I finished.

Peaking at 22 psi sounds about right, you might be able to turn it up a few more psi.

I would be very curious to see some of the other data points on your dyno run such as timing advance and fueling.

All my runs were done in 4th gear, dynojet generally does not put enough load on car for 3rd gear runs like a Mustang dyno does. I could only get proper runs done in 4th (DSG with GIAC DSG tune)

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion

The hpa ko4 is not a "hybrid" turbo by any means the internals are the same size as oem spec ko4s

danman1280

I ran the GIAC tune on my MKV K04 setup and I was 301/297 on a dynoject with 91 octane and water meth single nozzle.

Later switched to more aggressive tune and dual nozzle water meth and 91oct and was 336/335 on same dyno. Tuner later added more advance but was unable to get back to dyno. Now K04 is off the car but I am sure I was in 340s somewhere when I finished.

Peaking at 22 psi sounds about right, you might be able to turn it up a few more psi.

I would be very curious to see some of the other data points on your dyno run such as timing advance and fueling.

All my runs were done in 4th gear, dynojet generally does not put enough load on car for 3rd gear runs like a Mustang dyno does. I could only get proper runs done in 4th (DSG with GIAC DSG tune)

And these were changes that GIAC would make to your tune and you would reflash your ECU?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

I gotta dig up some e-mails I had with HPA but the "hybrid" term they use is rather misleading. I'm pretty sure they call it a "hybrid" turbo because they use a cast compressor housing in order to fit the diverter valve in the OEM location and thus preventing CNC adapters and housing modifications.

From my understanding their K04 is the same typical K04 you will find from all of the other companies just at a lower cost because they use a new cast compressor housing instead of modifying the existing one.

That and they dont use an OEM Borg Warner turbo. They use the same suppliers as Borg Warner though.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
This is directly from HPA:

"Our “hybrid” K04 is referred to as a hybrid simply because it is not an authentic BorgWarner factory K04 turbo.

In fact, it is much better option:

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_k04.html

The key difference is a ultra-lightweight aluminum compressor, that spools much faster than a factory K04.

Faster spooling has a direct correlation on improved performance, if tuned correctly.

The turbo itself is VERY well constructed, built to our specifications by the SAME manufacturer that builds all of the replacement / service parts for BorgWarner.

It includes a FULL installation kit, including all necessary hardware, gaskets, and silicone required for install."

He later goes on to say that mid 350's hp is attainable with their turbo. He doesn't specify if its WHP or crank though.

Shouldn't 330whp be attainable? I mean, I've seen 330 out of a lot of k04's.

danman1280

This is directly from HPA:

"Our “hybrid” K04 is referred to as a hybrid simply because it is not an authentic BorgWarner factory K04 turbo.

In fact, it is much better option:

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_k04.html

The key difference is a ultra-lightweight aluminum compressor, that spools much faster than a factory K04.

Faster spooling has a direct correlation on improved performance, if tuned correctly.

The turbo itself is VERY well constructed, built to our specifications by the SAME manufacturer that builds all of the replacement / service parts for BorgWarner.

It includes a FULL installation kit, including all necessary hardware, gaskets, and silicone required for install."

He later goes on to say that mid 350's hp is attainable with their turbo. He doesn't specify if its WHP or crank though.

Shouldn't 330whp be attainable? I mean, I've seen 330 out of a lot of k04's.

They advertised 355hp on their site I think and I spoke with Alan at HPA and he said that those are crank figures. Not entirely sure what the drive train loss is for a DSG transmission but I think that the 300whp should be obtainable with kit.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

FriggenT1

Banned
Unless the OP's dyno read very low, the output should be higher than his numbers imo. Whether a BW k04 or the "hydrid" k04, he should be in the 300+ range. Possible boost leak? Maybe, carbon cleaned recently? Carbon build up cans really cut into power if it gets bad. There must be a reason unless it's just because of which gear it's in.