GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR Clutch and Flywheel Question

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
My plan for this car is to eventually get a K04 installed and since I'm MT it means a new clutch will be installed at some point. I wasn't too concerned with getting a new clutch any time soon since I was planning at staying at stage 1 for a while as I saved up for the K04 and all supporting mods. Unfortunately my clutch is starting to slip at stage 1 power levels in 6th gear and a bit in 5th gear. I can go WOT in 1st-4th with no issues which is good.

Once I noticed the clutch slipping I began researching different clutch kits to try and choose which direction I wanted to go. My first choice was the FX350 clutch set up as it seems to get pretty good reviews. However doing some digging around I do read that a ton of people say it is a louder clutch then others out there which had me searching some more.

I started looking into SB's stage 2 daily which for a while was what I was set on getting until I started looking into the RSR clutch. I am not really looking for performance gains out of the clutch I am getting. Honestly I just want a clutch that will hold k04 power while feeling as OEM as possible with as little noise as possible so keeping a DMFW would be a bonus to me. I really have no complaints about rev hang and would rather keep it the same then reducing it but sacrificing in the noise department.

I was looking into the RSR clutch but cannot find a single piece of information on the actual specs of the clutch and what it's rated to hold. Does anyone know how much torque this clutch is rated to? It seems like there has been a lack of testing on the actual numbers for this clutch which has me hesitant to spend the money on it since it is very expensive for a kit that doesn't come with a flywheel.

My next question is how much abuse can the OEM flywheel take before it's scorched beyond repair? I really don't want to get the clutch out only to find out the flywheel is toast and I will need to drop another $600ish on a flywheel. At that point I would rather just get the stage 2 daily kit and deal with the noise. Obviously I am not pushing the car in 4th-6th and as soon as I notice the slightest slippage in any of the lower gears my car is going back to the stock program to try and salvage the flywheel.

If anyone has any info on the actual specs of the RSR clutch kit and can provide some insight into how much the OEM flywheel can take I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Sub'd for info on the OEM flywheel. I just started slipping yesterday and am curious how much time I have until I need to worry about needing to replace the flywheel too.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!
GO TO STOCK MODE NOW. To reuse your OEM DMFW you want as little slippage as possible. Any thermal hot spots (blueing) may cause the need to resurface the flywheel.
I just did this and it wasn't cheap($150-200). Came home today and found the RSR clutch kit on the porch. Will be installed next week. I'm stage 2 and wanted the DMFW quiet, and think the RSR will be fine for me.

I tried out the CM FX400 kit with SMFW and it failed after just 10K miles. The CM FX350 can be found for less than the RSR and includes the SMFW. Look for CM kits on Ebay for good deal.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
GO TO STOCK MODE NOW. To reuse your OEM DMFW you want as little slippage as possible. Any thermal hot spots (blueing) may cause the need to resurface the flywheel.
I just did this and it wasn't cheap($150-200). Came home today and found the RSR clutch kit on the porch. Will be installed next week. I'm stage 2 and wanted the DMFW quiet, and think the RSR will be fine for me.

I tried out the CM FX400 kit with SMFW and it failed after just 10K miles. The CM FX350 can be found for less than the RSR and includes the SMFW. Look for CM kits on Ebay for good deal.

I am not going CM as they are loudest clutch setups out there (based on reviews).

Also my clutch does not slip unless i got WOT in 5th and 6th so i don't do that anymore. I can go WOT in 1st-3rd with no issues.

If the worst case scenario is I have to get the flywheel resurfaced, I can live with that considering I would be spending $1200 on a SB stage 2 daily and the RSR is $1000.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
I've had the RSR in my car for close to 8,000 miles now. Still runs flawlessly even when running 100oct.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I've had the RSR in my car for close to 8,000 miles now. Still runs flawlessly even when running 100oct.

are the clutches identical for the R and GTI?

lamb110

Go Kart Champion

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I put it back in stock mode earlier today. I just want to ensure I can get a new clutch in before something else needs replaced to. Esp the flywheel.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
RSR Clutch Holding 398ftq to all 4 wheels.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I'm fairly certain I will go with the RSR kit. I've only got 13k miles on my car and have only a very slight slip at this point. My only concern is my flywheel. I've heard people needing to resurface theirs or needing them replaced. I'm hoping that I will be in the clear, because I really don't want to buy an oem dmfw just in case if it's likely that I won't need it.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have a low mile DMF if you need one.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
All this talk of the OEM DMFW getting scorched is blown way out of proportion. The FW will discolor within months of use. It's just what metal does going through heat cycles. What matters is the surface pattern on the flywheel. There are small concentric grooves which must still be present in order to engage properly. You need to really, really beat the piss out of the disk to damage the flywheel.

From my install:

Old PP surface

Old plate

Flywheel condition

LOTS of dust. Cleaned it out with a blow nozzle and pressurized air.

And my RSR bites hard and keeps hold very well @ 307 btq.

Edit: See those small bright spots that propagate across the grooves in the bottom of the flywheel in the last pic? That's what you need to watch out for. Some failed pressure plates (see some fx-400's) on the forum have those markings across the whole disk.