GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 MK6 GTI DSG-Cobb Accessport Stage 1 Review

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

So I recently bought a Cobb Accessport for my mk6 and was very pleasing with the effortless install. My car is completely stock (Except for tires).

INSTALL: The install was very easy and took 10 minutes for the whole thing, the Accessport itself gives you instructions on what to do while you're installing. Also, the cobb website has various links to tutorials that explain how to use EVERYTHING on the accessport.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS UPON STARTUP:

Upon startup the car was the same, my car was already warm so i gave it a few blips of the throttle... Holy Sh*t, turbo spool and little burbles for days. Sounded more aggressive with revs but nothing too crazy, you'll notice it if you've heard your stock exhaust for a while.

I set up the gauges to monitor boost, knock, IAT, load, voltage, and gear selected and they are very easy to read and convenient.

FIRST DRIVE:

The car pulls so much harder compared to stock. The torque on Stage 1 shoves you in the seat and the car sounds so good. It pulls harder through the midrange and I would only believe that stage 1 high boost/Stage 1+ & Stage 2 would feel even better. Launched the car on a flat hill at 2k rpm and the accessport said: 5.426 0-60 and 2.33 60 foot. Not sure if that's fully accurate but i'll take it. For anyone who's going to say "No way I call bs" or "Oh you must have been going downhill my stage 2 can't even do that", I'll go out tomorrow and take some pictures of the 0-60 times and try to post them on here. Going to try out Stage 1 High boost tomorrow and will let you guys know how it compares to Stage 1.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

Honestly this is the best and first thing you should do for your car, the guys at cobb are very helpful and their website will pretty much troubleshoot all your problems unless something major really F's up. I think the greatest benefit of this is that I can get my money back after I sell the car by selling the accessport which you can't do with any other VW tune on the market (that I know of). Also, I can conveniently flash back to stock when I need to take a trip to the dealer or let someone drive my car. A major benefit of this is if I want to upgrade to a frankenturbo F23t I wouldn't have already need to go get another reflash and spend even MORE money throwing away my stage 1 tune from all the other companies. I can spend 100-200 bucks and get a custom tune from companies like Freektune or Stratified which will give me even more gains as they can tweak and advance stuff for the extra mods I would put on.

CONCLUSION:
10/10 would buy.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
This is good to hear. My AP is on the way, should arrive Friday. I bought it from Justin @ Freektune, which when you buy the AP from him he includes one free e-tune map. But if you also buy the AP from him, for an extra $100 he will do a full e-tune (8-12 iterations) until you get your custom tune dialed in.

I can't wait to start getting the tune dialed.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Hell yeah man, post up on how you like it. Hope everything goes well with install it was literally so easy and the best part is you don't have to take it back to a shop to flash back to stock.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Cobb APs, Downpipe, and uppipe (Stage 2.5) were the thing to do short of a protune during my WRX days. I can only imagine the effortless power increase these offer the GTI. :)

Barca11

i really shouldnt be spending the money on this right now but id be lying saying this didnt get me that much closer to just saying fxck it!

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
i really shouldnt be spending the money on this right now but id be lying saying this didnt get me that much closer to just saying fxck it!

I was telling myself I'm not going to tune my car but after reading reviews I just said f it. Power increase is great compared to stock. Kid in my school just got a e92 m3 so I guess the f23t and freektune is the next mod.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
How much power from stock does the accessport give you?

It depends on too many factors to just give a number. For example, what tune (stage 1, stage 2, e-tune, pro-tune, etc), octane, other mods, elevation, etc.

Start out on Cobb's website to get a baseline understanding of what is in the realm of possible and it will give you an idea.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
How much power from stock does the accessport give you?

Stock is like around 200-210 at the wheels for HP and torque, according to the cobb website for stage one high boost (map that I'm currently running), their car was making

"Stage1 High boost / Stage1+SF 93
Peak Gains* +13.2% HP / +24.7% TQ
Largest Gains* +28.2% HP / +23.3% TQ at 4300 RPM"

This is on 93 octane, I'm running 91 which of course a little less aggressive.

*Largest gains= 28.2%-> .282x200 (let's assume wheel horsepower is 200 on a stock car)= 56.4hp increase= 256.4hp

*Now for torque= 23.3%-> .233x200 (let's assume wheel torque is 200 on a stock car)=46.6trq increase= 246.6trq

I could have been doing the wrong calculations the whole time or messed something up in my calculations so if I'm far off bear with me.

JustinT

Ready to race!
It depends on too many factors to just give a number. For example, what tune (stage 1, stage 2, e-tune, pro-tune, etc), octane, other mods, elevation, etc.

Start out on Cobb's website to get a baseline understanding of what is in the realm of possible and it will give you an idea.

Thanks for the info! Checked it out

JustinT

Ready to race!
Stock is like around 200-210 at the wheels for HP and torque, according to the cobb website for stage one high boost (map that I'm currently running), their car was making

"Stage1 High boost / Stage1+SF 93
Peak Gains* +13.2% HP / +24.7% TQ
Largest Gains* +28.2% HP / +23.3% TQ at 4300 RPM"

This is on 93 octane, I'm running 91 which of course a little less aggressive.

*Largest gains= 28.2%-> .282x200 (let's assume wheel horsepower is 200 on a stock car)= 56.4hp increase= 256.4hp

*Now for torque= 23.3%-> .233x200 (let's assume wheel torque is 200 on a stock car)=46.6trq increase= 246.6trq

I could have been doing the wrong calculations the whole time or messed something up in my calculations so if I'm far off bear with me.

Thankyou, I was confused about the percentages I was wondering if the "%" was just there or if you multiplied it.(I thought multiply and I guess was right).
I think I made the decision about which tune I'm getting.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Thankyou, I was confused about the percentages I was wondering if the "%" was just there or if you multiplied it.(I thought multiply and I guess was right).
I think I made the decision about which tune I'm getting.

For sure man, post on how you like it, it would be nice to get more cobb users on this platform for support and diagnostics if any problems arise with our cars in the future.

one8toh8

Passed Driver's Ed
Just ordered mine directly from Cobb website. It will be here on Friday. I will post my thoughts. I'm stock other than APR stage 1 intake. I'm super excited and can not wait.

JustinT

Ready to race!
Just ordered mine directly from Cobb website. It will be here on Friday. I will post my thoughts. I'm stock other than APR stage 1 intake. I'm super excited and can not wait.

Congrats, manual or automatic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk