GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger Window Squealing (any insight appreciated)

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Doesn't the door skin just unbolt and give you access to everything?? Might want to try that before touching the interior.

Door skin? Isn't that the inside of the door panel? I've heard that it's the biggest nightmare to remove and you'll end up breaking clips 90% of the time.

zrickety

The Fixer
No, the door skin is the metal exterior. I believe it unbolts pretty easily, then everything is exposed.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Doesn't that black piece behind the door skin have to be riveted out?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I'm assuming all MK6 GTIs are the same with regard to the doors/windows, and if so the black panel is secured with rivets (one very stupid thing about an otherwise pretty clever car) that need to be drilled out. The proper sized rivets are tricky to find and require a bigger rivet gun than normal, so keep that in mind BEFORE you drill out the old rivets. I believe on the MK5 you could simply unbolt the door skin, not the MK6.

zrickety

The Fixer
Guess I was thinking of my MK5...I assumed the feature carried over, but I could be wrong.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
My car had about 200K on it at the time so not sure if I would have been able to call if defective on their part? Its seen its fair share of Tim's drive through windows

JSwag420

Ready to race!
My car had about 200K on it at the time so not sure if I would have been able to call if defective on their part? Its seen its fair share of Tim's drive through windows

50k here. My friend had it happen at 15k and replaced under warranty ofc no questions asked because it's a known problem. For me though, $700!

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same problem on my 2.5. Took it to my mech, he took off the trim molding and cleaned the window track properly.

It doesn't happen anymore.

Last edited:

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same problem. Took off the inner door skin after removal of the glass. Lube everything that can move including the glass carrier and track. Squealing came back after few months.

It turned out to be misaligned window track. Had to change the entire inner skin because the tracks are riveted to it. Also noticed some crimping on the regulator cable. All good now.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Had the same problem on my 2.5. Took it to my mech, he took off the trim molding and cleaned the window track properly.

It doesn't happen anymore.

Mine is as clean as it can possibly get without removing anything. Did he have to remove the entire door panel I'm assuming to remove the trim molding?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Had the same problem. Took off the inner door skin after removal of the glass. Lube everything that can move including the glass carrier and track. Squealing came back after few months.

It turned out to be misaligned window track. Had to change the entire inner skin because the tracks are riveted to it. Also noticed some crimping on the regulator cable. All good now.

That's what I'm thinking it is along with a regulator cable going. I'm sure I could silence it if I could get access to behind that panel. Any tips on removing it? I know people say it's an absolute nightmare.

When I try to lube things w/ the window down it just makes a mess and hardly covers anywhere. It's amazing to see how many others have this problem.

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
Door card removal was pretty straight forward. Expect to replace few clips. Quite cheap at the dealer.

To remove the glass itself, you should follow this guide here http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk6/body/general_body_repairs_exterior/glazing/window_mechanism/front_door_window/removing_and_installing_door_window/removing/

It's a bit tricky to pull the plastic rivets out. On the reinstall, make sure the rubber seal is properly seated against the metal sheet. It's not advisable to put any adhesive around it as that can change the inner door pressure. Side crash sensor depends on it for proper operation.

Uberryan

Banned
Could be the window regulators too. Had those go on both sides. Replaced under warranty.

EDIT: If it sounds like this

it's the regulators, don't bother lubing.

Last edited:

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Could be the window regulators too. Had those go on both sides. Replaced under warranty.

EDIT: If it sounds like this

it's the regulators, don't bother lubing.

Mine sounds exactly like that but idk how regulators make that sound. It sounds like something is pressing against the glass. My dealer wants $700 to replace the one door regulator. I told them to go fuck themselves haha. My warranty just expired when this started happening on my end.

I'm wondering if I remove my door panel if I'll be able to cleaner the inner felt and what not that's not really accessible from just rolling the window down and make wiggle some stuff around. I might try replacing the window molding like done in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnMSpj2lMOk

Last edited: