GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How often do you replace your pcv valve?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I think I have a boost leak. The car is not throwing a code, but I can feel a misfire, very subtle, but it's there. I have R8 coilpacks and the ngk brix8 (don't know exact part number, but the same all the others seem to use). Pcv, and coils are 25k miles old. Plugs are about 1k miles old. I've replaced the pcv before, and it wasn't throweing any codes, I'm wondering if a cc with a good Africa plate might be a better solution.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Worth knowing these cars do run quite rough from the factory. Due to larger injectors trying to both provide lots of power but be good on gas/efficient as well. Unfortunate result is soft misfires at idle, not all TOO much you can do about it IMO

zrickety

The Fixer
I would check your spark plug gap, they widen over time and these cars like tight gaps. Especially tuned. No telling what they were out of the box, unless you checked. CC are worthless IMO, save your money for something else. If you suspect buildup, try the italian tune up.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
If you don’t want to spend a ton of money on a CC I have a used Integrated Engineering kit I’m going to be putting up soon. I bought it used so has some minor scratches on the fittings and can. The Africa plate is in good shape. Some reason the plate is a slight maroon color if aesthetics are everything to you. Let me know if interested. Collects well. Just wish I could run it all year round, but gets below freezing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Worth knowing these cars do run quite rough from the factory. Due to larger injectors trying to both provide lots of power but be good on gas/efficient as well. Unfortunate result is soft misfires at idle, not all TOO much you can do about it IMO

These cars run quite rough from the factory? Mine doesnt. Mine runs so smooth at idle that I have to look at the tach to make sure its running.

This is from the inside of the car, outside all you here is tick tick tick, the DI doing its work thats it.

Inside, Smooth as glass. Always has been and 5 yrs later still the same.

On the PCV I think its good preventive maintenance to change them out every 50-60k miles with an OEM unit. Why? Because if it does go bad and you do nothing about it, you can blow a main seal. BIG MONEY THERE. Some will whistle, some wont, some idle bad, some dont, and some BLow a main seal and well, Not good.

So what $120 for an OEM unit ever 50-60k miles to prevent any potential issues? Cheap insurance to me.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I kept blowing my pcv after I put a k04 on. Switched to a catch can and haven't had an issue since.

Very Good Idea here BUT..........

If you live in a state like I do that Emissions are VERY strict you get an automatic fail for having an oil catch can.

So not sure what to say there. So many factors. I guess you could take off the catch can, put on an OEM unit, get smogged, then take it off, but man that would get old.

Some on these forums running high HP and Boost have no issues with the OEM unit. So not sure why some folks have issues and others dont. Its bizarre.

Jeff

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Very Good Idea here BUT..........

If you live in a state like I do that Emissions are VERY strict you get an automatic fail for having an oil catch can.

So not sure what to say there. So many factors. I guess you could take off the catch can, put on an OEM unit, get smogged, then take it off, but man that would get old.

Some on these forums running high HP and Boost have no issues with the OEM unit. So not sure why some folks have issues and others dont. Its bizarre.

Jeff

I've been toying with the idea of moving to California and honestly the emissions thing is a huge deterrent for me. How often do you have to go get your car smogged anyways? It would take me weeks to get my car back to the point it passes.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I've been toying with the idea of moving to California and honestly the emissions thing is a huge deterrent for me. How often do you have to go get your car smogged anyways? It would take me weeks to get my car back to the point it passes.

They have random roadside smog inspections as well. Cops are hard asses. Will ticket you for everything. They can impound your car on the spot for modifications to emissions equipment.

markus037

Ready to race!
just did mine at 57k. honestly id do it every 50k. got mine from deutche auto parts for $160. its the latest version too.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
These cars run quite rough from the factory? Mine doesnt. Mine runs so smooth at idle that I have to look at the tach to make sure its running.

This is from the inside of the car, outside all you here is tick tick tick, the DI doing its work thats it.

Inside, Smooth as glass. Always has been and 5 yrs later still the same.

On the PCV I think its good preventive maintenance to change them out every 50-60k miles with an OEM unit. Why? Because if it does go bad and you do nothing about it, you can blow a main seal. BIG MONEY THERE. Some will whistle, some wont, some idle bad, some dont, and some BLow a main seal and well, Not good.

So what $120 for an OEM unit ever 50-60k miles to prevent any potential issues? Cheap insurance to me.

Jeff

I had gotten rev AE which was current at that time. Now it's rev AH. Obviously it's hard to tell if it is the pcv, bad coil, large gap (.026 and k04). I've read .022-.024, so I'll drop it down a bit and see what happens with that slight miss and see what happens I guess.

Last edited:

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I run a 034 catch can with Africa plate for most of the year right up until the first freeze and then i swap over to an oem pcv (rev AH).

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
They have random roadside smog inspections as well. Cops are hard asses. Will ticket you for everything. They can impound your car on the spot for modifications to emissions equipment.

Definitely a deal breaker.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

If you buy a new car from the dealer i think you don't have to smog for like 5-6 years, but after that smog is required every 2 years.

Wrong, those road side inspections are voluntary. Your car will not be impounded for modifications.