GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Srt-4

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, I have heard of plenty of "high" HP neons going through trans/diffs like a mofo.

SRT2GTI

Banned
You are talking about a Dodge and in particular a Neon to a bunch of Euro/German car enthusiasts...:iono:

Many on this forum would say they're car enthusiats and not just strictly Euro/German car -enthusiasts...you're just playing the role of a "homer." I've owned many cars and I'm a fan of many different styles. Many members here have crossed over from all types of cars.

So what makes it a good car?
Didn't break...ever, no matter what you threw at it. The 2004 GTI on the other hand was known and well documented for having failures with the Water Pump, Engine Vacuum Hoses, Oil Pan Seal, Radiator Cooling Fan, and the Cam Adjuster Seals.

What sort of accolades does it have?
What is its critical acclaim?
(Pretty much the same question)

- Car and Driver magazine's 2005 John Lingenfelter Memorial Trophy
- Was one of "Eight Great Rides" as decided by Sport Compact Car magazine (SCC) in 2003, 2004, and 2005 - all three years the SRT-4 was produced.
- Named the 2003 Car of the Year by SCC.
- Won numerous comparisons in several U.S. automotive magazines from 2003 to 2005, including: 1st place -Car and Driver magazine, November 2005. The SRT-4 competed against 14 other performance vehicles, finishing 1st in the front-wheel-drive division.
- 1st place, Serial Thrillers comparison test, Car and Driver magazine, May 2004.
1st place -Automobile magazine, March 2004.
1st place -Sport Sedans Comparison, Edmunds, August 2003
1st place -Sport Compact Car Shootout, January 2003

I personally dislike the car because I know it is a bad car.
Opinion...did you own one? Much like Donnie from The Big Lebowski, you have no frame of reference.

You personally like the car because you don't know it is a bad car.
I've owned both SRTs and GTIs, and I've had more issues with newer GTIs then I did with my SRT4s. Granted, I'm older now and have out grown the look of the SRT4 and I would most likely never own again, however it's still not a bad car.

Last edited:

SRT2GTI

Banned
Honestly, I have heard of plenty of "high" HP neons going through trans/diffs like a mofo.

Really? I've heard of lower control arms and axles going out on high HP SRT4s, but not trans/diffs. I had well over 350 hp to the wheels on stock trans, clutch, and stock Quaife differential.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
Really? I've heard of lower control arms and axles going out on high HP SRT4s, but not trans/diffs. I had well over 350 hp to the wheels on stock trans, clutch, and stock Quaife differential.

Granted the guys who i knew with them could have been mentally retarded but yes it seemed they were blowing out gears constantly.

C4L

Banned
So what makes it a good car?
Didn't break...ever, no matter what you threw at it. The 2004 GTI on the other hand was known and well documented for having failures with the Water Pump, Engine Vacuum Hoses, Oil Pan Seal, Radiator Cooling Fan, and the Cam Adjuster Seals.

You personally like the car because you don't know it is a bad car.
I've owned both SRTs and GTIs, and I've had more issues with newer GTIs then I did with my SRT4s. Granted, I'm older now and have out grown the look of the SRT4 and I would most likely never own again, however it's still not a bad car.

Ah, so you believe that reliability makes one car better than another. I guess the Toyota Corolla is the best car in the world. Those silly, unreliable Ferraris and Lambos are just junk...

THIS IS A PREFERENCE.;)

SRT2GTI

Banned
Ah, so you believe that reliability makes one car better than another. I guess the Toyota Corolla is the best car in the world. Those silly, unreliable Ferraris and Lambos are just junk...

THIS IS A PREFERENCE.;)

You probably could make that argument...after all Toyota is the number one selling vehicle on the planet. Reliability might be the largest driving factor when one purchases a vehicle. You're basing your argument off of "you don't like the SRT-4 because of it's looks and your perceived notion that it's junk." You're making a blanket statement with no fact behind it, which clearly shows you nothing about them. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a poorly built vehicle. Is the neon SRT-4 the best car ever made...of course not, but it's also not the worst car ever made either and it's not a piece of junk.

Dodge marketed and sold it for exactly what it was "A low cost, fast, economy car." They suceeded and it sold very well. They never made the claim that is was BMW quality. My point is that the car did not break, and the maintnance costs were kept to a minimum. One can make the argument that the car was good because of these things. By your standards, If a car looked great, and had a awesome interior;), but was in the shop all the time...that would make it a good car to own?

Last edited:

C4L

Banned
You probably could make that argument...after all Toyota is the number one selling vehicle on the planet. Reliability might be the largest driving factor when one purchases a vehicle. You're basing your argument off of "you don't like the SRT-4 because of it's looks and your perceived notion that it's junk." You're making a blanket statement with no fact behind it, which clearly shows you nothing about them. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a poorly built vehicle. Is the neon SRT-4 the best car ever made...of course not, but it's also not the worst car ever made either and it's not a piece of junk.

Statistically the 3 key drivers in a consumers car purchase are, Price, Gas Mileage, Exterior Appearance, in that order.

I have personal experience with countless Neons. Adding a larger motor, big brakes, and stiffer suspension doesn't change the rest of the car. It has nothing to do with the way it looks. The car is dirt cheap with a big motor.

Google lists of 'worst cars of the last decade' and the Neon and/or Caliber show up on several of them. NEVER will you see a VW though.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=23127790

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/topspeed-s-15-worst-cars-of-the-decade-ar96191.html

SRT2GTI

Banned
Statistically the 3 key drivers in a consumers car purchase are, Price, Gas Mileage, Exterior Appearance, in that order.

I have personal experience with countless Neons. Adding a larger motor, big brakes, and stiffer suspension doesn't change the rest of the car. It has nothing to do with the way it looks. The car is dirt cheap with a big motor.

Google lists of 'worst cars of the last decade' and the Neon and/or Caliber show up on several of them. NEVER will you see a VW though.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=23127790

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/topspeed-s-15-worst-cars-of-the-decade-ar96191.html

The entire powertrain, suspension, braking system, Quaife LSD, exhaust, wheels, tires, portion of the interior, front fascia, hood, side skirts, rear fascia, wing, wheels were all different from a base Neon and specifically designed by SRT (PVO engineer team at the time) for the SRT. That basically leaves the frame and pinch welds which are all fine and probably no different than any other vehicle. All of those changes, do make the car better. You don't put the WRX, in the same catagory as you do the standard Impreza, therefore you can't do the same for the SRT-4. It also does not say Neon on any surface of the SRT4, and I believe the VIN will not come up as stating "neon" as well. Both lists you supplied were compiled by the writers of MSN Autos and Topspeed. Once again opinion, not statistical fact. How about we agree to disagree. You don't like the SRT-4 which is fine.

Last edited:

rquinn19

Ready to race!
this! Despite the looks and it being a dodge, you should have a bit more respect for a fellow sport compact. Matter of fact Dodge was a pioneer for releasing the Neon Srt at the time it did. A well tuned ACR will hold its own against a lot more expensive cars.

I have ridden in some Srt-4s that pull like freight trains. Not everyone can afford a VW and they have to work with what they are given.

Fresh out of college I bought my 03 GTI brand new for a couple grand less than I could've got a SRT-4 for. I would've preferred the SRT actually. I was happy with my purchase in the long run, but at the time I wanted the Dodge but it was out of my price range.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
dodge the father
ram the daughter.

oh wait wrong model.

Last edited:

dknguyenn

Ready to race!

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
And mikeyd I see your LI euro and if you where at the meet Monday I'm sure you saw the white sti v8 bait one of my friends buddy's he has more power in that car then half the cars on here but he doesn't flaunt it around or have to go up to stock cars or whatever to reassure him of what he has under the hood. Yea he will pull up next to you and drop a gear and do a pull to see if you wanna race and if you do nothing he continues his drive.

Back to the op if anyone has raced one I'm curious to here your outcome

2013 White MK6 GTI | Yellow Fogs and Vinyl | Injen Intake |

I saw the V8 bait guy around haha, but im not li euro, strictly euro. Different groups but we go to eachothers meets its all love haha

Frosty631

Ready to race!
I saw the V8 bait guy around haha, but im not li euro, strictly euro. Different groups but we go to eachothers meets its all love haha

Oh ok yea I'm on that Facebook page been wanting to get out there that way