GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM clutch and Stage 1

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I am ready to finally go ahead with an APR Stage 1 but I still have one lingering concern.

I have the 6 MT.
I have heard of so many clutch issues, even with Stage 1. It's so hard to tell because these forums tend to exaggerate negative issues.

I know individual driving style is a big issue with this. I am not a boy racer, won't track and am not likely to drive too aggressively.

I will not be going beyond Stage 1 and won't be adding any other performance mods of any kinds.

So how concerned should I be? I do not want to get Stage 1 if it is going to cost me another $1200 to $1500 for a new clutch.
In 35 years of driving manual transmissions I have never repaired a clutch.

Any words on driving style that is less wearing on a clutch would also be helpful.

thanks

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I find heal towing in the GTI rather difficult as the brake it too close to the throttle pedal, however you and you slow down you can blip the throttle before you down shift to try and rev match in order to not utilize the clutch to slow the car down.

Stage 1 will be harder on your clutch but depending on how many km you put on your car a year you may not need a new clutch for a while...over a year, two or three.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I personally can't see you needing a new clutch all that soon then but I'm not speaking from experience as I have next to none with VWs. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. From my perspective you should be fine with Stage 1 for a long time... I see no reason to be concerned.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
What matters more than how often you drive is the way you drive. You could drive a "stage 3" car on a stock clutch if you never get on boost. You can destroy a clutch with factory power by riding it or abusing it.

Can't say I'm not with you on the issue though. The clutch issue will probably keep from getting a DP and "stage 2" eventually, and I'll be downshifting to stop at a red light less often.

And the clutch shouldn't be that expensive. If you're referring to APR's offering, posted in the other thread, they're selling a kit with a pressure plate, clutch disk, and flywheel. I can't say for sure but some have said you can get by with just a disk for ~$300, but the install is going to cost some. I'd be afraid of doing that without resurfacing the flywheel - if that is even possible with our stupid DMFs.

P

plac

with the amount of clutch problems i see around here, it aint a driver issue.. its just a weak clutch or clutch design. everyone with problems isnt abusing their clutch.. this is equally as bad as our DSG mechatronics issue we have.

dowright82

WRX Convert
I've driven nothing but manual transmission my whole life. I'm 28 years old and drive about 30,000 miles per year.

Mine is slipping. I've never launched it, I have tracked it but am very in tune with how to massage a tranny to keep from abusing/wearing it. I appreciate rev-matching and heal-toeing. I'm simply stage 1 with intake and its slipping at 32500

I will add though, that I've had sticky tires on the car throughout its life.

RE50 (225)
Bridgestone RE760 (245)
Evo v12 (255)

I'm quite upset, but plan on buying the Southbend Stage 3 clutch for $400 and installing it myself if I can find a DIY walkthrough somewhere. May just buy a service manual.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
i think the oem clutch is rated around 250 ft / lbs and once you go apr stage one you'll be at around 300 ft / lbs so a new clutch is recommended. you'll be fine with the oem clutch for a while but don't expect it to last forever

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
i think the oem clutch is rated around 250 ft / lbs and once you go apr stage one you'll be at around 300 ft / lbs so a new clutch is recommended. you'll be fine with the oem clutch for a while but don't expect it to last forever

VW is selling a car with 200 hp and for the most part one should expect that the rest of the drive train is designed to handle 200 hp with some extra built in.

If you go Stage I and nothing else changed about your driving style you should expect it to wear out (yes it is a item that is designed to wear out) quicker then stock.

You have already spent $$$ on mods expect to spent more to upgrade the clutch. Believe me you won't regret it.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Unlike others here, i do not expect to be spending money on mods beyond the $599 for stage 1.
If an installed clutch is over $1200, then that makes a stage 1 tune effectively $1800 (or more!). That's more than I want to spend.

I just wanted a bit extra fun and highway passing power. I'm not a 20 something who wants to burn rubber.
I know you 'have to pay to play' but I don't want to pay more than the $599. Maybe I am just dreaming I guess, eh?

P

plac

Unlike others here, i do not expect to be spending money on mods beyond the $599 for stage 1.
If an installed clutch is over $1200, then that makes a stage 1 tune effectively $1800 (or more!). That's more than I want to spend.

I just wanted a bit extra fun and highway passing power. I'm not a 20 something who wants to burn rubber.
I know you 'have to pay to play' but I don't want to pay more than the $599. Maybe I am just dreaming I guess, eh?

in the large scheme of things, it is a very tiny number having the clutch issues. everyone just comes here to complain about it. i doubt you would even have any issues.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
in the large scheme of things, it is a very tiny number having the clutch issues. everyone just comes here to complain about it. i doubt you would even have any issues.

You see, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
If you read these forums, I think no one would buy a VW. I was reading here before I bought my GTI and was scared to death about owning one. And so far I have had NO problems (oops, just screwed myself).

I got a hitch for my car even though people on VWVortex said that model bangs and clangs against the exhaust and drove them crazy. And I have had NO problems with that either.

So am I just getting a skewed view here or am I really going to destroy my clutch. I figure a clutch should easily be good for at least 50,000 miles (80K km)...at least.

Is this forum just crazy or is this a real issue?

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
You see, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
If you read these forums, I think no one would buy a VW. I was reading here before I bought my GTI and was scared to death about owning one. And so far I have had NO problems (oops, just screwed myself).

I got a hitch for my car even though people on VWVortex said that model bangs and clangs against the exhaust and drove them crazy. And I have had NO problems with that either.

So am I just getting a skewed view here or am I really going to destroy my clutch. I figure a clutch should easily be good for at least 50,000 miles (80K km)...at least.

Is this forum just crazy or is this a real issue?

I think you're getting skewed views because people don't come on here and make posts or threads about how their clutch is fine. Only people who have problems both to make a thread or post... imo.

GuntherVI

Ready to race!
I have 7,000 miles on my car, 6,000 with APR stage 1. I noticed my clutch slipping (in 4th gear) when temps were down in the 20's a few weeks back. Not an issue YET at higher ambient temps.

My commute is 4 miles one way, with lots of lights and curves. I enjoy each and every one of them. I never slip the clutch, launch hard, or get into boost until clutch is fully engaged. It's a fact, stock clutch isn't gonna last very long with 300 lb/ft twisting it.....IF you drive a GTI with 'enthusiasm'. :D

spessx

Ready to race!
I have 7,000 miles on my car, 6,000 with APR stage 1. I noticed my clutch slipping (in 4th gear) when temps were down in the 20's a few weeks back. Not an issue YET at higher ambient temps.

My commute is 4 miles one way, with lots of lights and curves. I enjoy each and every one of them. I never slip the clutch, launch hard, or get into boost until clutch is fully engaged. It's a fact, stock clutch isn't gonna last very long with 300 lb/ft twisting it.....IF you drive a GTI with 'enthusiasm'. :D

^^This...Mine started slipping at 12k and I've never dumped the clutch. I love to drive on twisty roads and enjoy the torque/pull of my APR Stage 1. Merging onto onramps in 4th gear the clutch slips pretty bad. I'm almost at 15k now and haven't talked to my dealer about it yet.

Btw, I may be adding to clutch fears. I mention my case everytime a clutch thread comes up. I've probably posted about it on 3-4 threads.

-s

Last edited: