GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Wastegate Rattle?!

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
So the service advisor tells me it's going to be a few hours. I told him I was told we would do a quick roadtest to determine if the car had the issue. I explained that on the phone I was told I may need two appointments: one to hear the sound the second to repair if the part needs to be ordered. While here I also asked to have the MDI update.
*Ok so today I ask if the part is in stock. He refused to say so. I showed him the TSB info from this blog and he said this is not even a VW number. *
Anyways it's on the lift as of 7:40am, by 8:30 it's down from lift. I hope the part is installed ending this rattle.*
9:00am tech and service manager take car on road test.*
Ok so here's the final word on today's visit to VW service: I went on test drive with service manager. He claims the noise is normal. He said there is a pipe so you hear the turbo. I stated that I thought the "noise" pipe was not installed on 2011 GTI. He then said it's air blown off from the turbo. I tried my best to not sound condescending to this gentleman. It seems that knowledge gained on this blog has given some of us good specific intelligence regarding some of the minutia concerning our vehicles.I asked if he would try the clip. He stated that the clip was expensive and that VWOA would have to approve of it. We drove back to dealership and I asked him to cleverly write up the request as to allow VWOA to release one of these clips to me. I saw the TSB at VW the clip looks like a simple piece of spring steel that sits on the connection on the wastegate actuator rod. After some reluctance he ordered the clip. He said it is a $75 part. I'm going back Thursday to have it installed.* As it turns out it will require two days.
Since he kept on mentioning the cost, do I now expect to have to pay out of pocket for this tiny piece of metal?

Steve

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
this is effing lunacy. first 75 bux for the clip, second all this shit we are getting. I called my parts maganger gave him the clip part number over the phone and he said its an audi part not VW and he cant order it (only a VW place). So i had to send him the TSB to prove it.

W.......................T................................F...?????

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Umm, my dealership saw the TSB and ordered the clip for me under warranty.
Should be in soon then I'll head back and have them install it.

Anyone get this clip installed yet and verify that it fixed the issue or will I possibly be the first?

Your not even close to the first, VW has tested the fix on a bunch of cars before releasing this and someone in this thread a page back already has it done.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
So the service advisor tells me it's going to be a few hours. I told him I was told we would do a quick roadtest to determine if the car had the issue. I explained that on the phone I was told I may need two appointments: one to hear the sound the second to repair if the part needs to be ordered. While here I also asked to have the MDI update.
*Ok so today I ask if the part is in stock. He refused to say so. I showed him the TSB info from this blog and he said this is not even a VW number. *
Anyways it's on the lift as of 7:40am, by 8:30 it's down from lift. I hope the part is installed ending this rattle.*
9:00am tech and service manager take car on road test.*
Ok so here's the final word on today's visit to VW service: I went on test drive with service manager. He claims the noise is normal. He said there is a pipe so you hear the turbo. I stated that I thought the "noise" pipe was not installed on 2011 GTI. He then said it's air blown off from the turbo. I tried my best to not sound condescending to this gentleman. It seems that knowledge gained on this blog has given some of us good specific intelligence regarding some of the minutia concerning our vehicles.I asked if he would try the clip. He stated that the clip was expensive and that VWOA would have to approve of it. We drove back to dealership and I asked him to cleverly write up the request as to allow VWOA to release one of these clips to me. I saw the TSB at VW the clip looks like a simple piece of spring steel that sits on the connection on the wastegate actuator rod. After some reluctance he ordered the clip. He said it is a $75 part. I'm going back Thursday to have it installed.* As it turns out it will require two days.
Since he kept on mentioning the cost, do I now expect to have to pay out of pocket for this tiny piece of metal?

Steve

It is in fact a $75 part number. As long you car is under warranty it doesn't cost you anything... He'll it doesn't cost the dealer anything either, VW pays

sgessler2011

Ready to race!

Sirius

Ready to race!
It sort of fixes it, not 100% but it's noticeable. It still happens on occasion.

I'm happy at least.

And it's bullshit if you get charged for it. I brought in my service bulletin and they installed the part (yes it is 75$) for free, no labor or anything. All under warranty.