GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 1.8/2.0T EA113/EA888 Gen 1 Cast Downpipe Exhaust System!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
How is casting cheaper than buying and bending a pipe? I personally don't see a performance benefit to it. Certainly will be more reliable at the flange, especially for cars that see snow and salt, may sound better. But it sure as hell isn't cheaper than a buying a pipe.

There are several benefits to it mentioned above, most notably is the turbo outlet port matching and organic shape.

Someone asked how this system compared to our old one. Here are the improvements we made:

The new system was fully designed and developed in-house with final assembly taking place here at APR. The previous systems were private labeled through another vendor. We made the switch when we built up the necessary infrastructure to do it on our own. The assembly and quality control is also in house, allowing us to have a higher level of confidence in the final product being as advertised.

We’ve upgraded all of the components to a higher quality T304L stainless steel from the 439 and 304 used on the previous system which does wonders for corrosion resistance. We’ve also upgraded the welding to argon back-purged TIG welding where as the old system was MIG welded.

The most obvious difference is the use of an investment cast inlet and outlet. The inlet is port matched to the turbo, which comes in at 80mm, and gradually necks down to the 76mm pipe’s ID over a long distance. This reduces back pressure and turbulence through the high flow, organic shape. The old system sharply necked down directly out of the turbo. Furthermore since the new system is cast, there’s no welding at the turbo inlet/flange or o2 sensor like the old system, which not only makes the system stronger, but further reduces turbulence.

We’ve bumped up the quality of the flex section as well. The low profile and corrugated is less likely to rub, fray and fail over time compared to the old unit we used.

The bracket is weldless, reducing more chances for failure, and thicker, thus reducing deformation, compared to the stamped piece used before. There’s also more room for adjustability between different vehicles.

The clamps were upgraded to an OEM style slip clamp that doesn’t rely on deforming the pipe to make a tight connection like the old style clamp. It’s easy to install, easy to remove, and allows the pipes to butt right up to each other, because there’s no swedging, reducing turbulence. This also allows for better compatibility between systems since it’s just a straight pipe.
The oxygen sensor bungs are actually cast and welded to the outside of the pipe, which prevents the bung from protruding into the pipe, causing more turbulence like the ones used on the old system.

The piping quality was raised as well. We’re now brushing the exterior to give it a nice finish compared to the raw finish on the old system. The pipe has excellent roundness and a very good interior weld seam which overall makes it a higher quality tube above the obvious material change. The pipe is also designed to perfectly match the OEM catback, so no cutting is involved like on the old system.

The catalyst was upgraded to a high quality GESI unit. The GESI unit is larger and as such, less likely to impede airflow compared to smaller units with less surface area. The catalyst is brazed to the substrate and encapsulated, so unlike the old system, it’s less likely to fail and cause a blockage in the system. The cell count was raised meaning lower emissions, and was done so without restricting flow.

Finally the reducer is a 1 piece design vs the 2 piece MIG welded unit we previously used.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
400 cell cat?
Can you explain how that's more efficient than the previous 200 cell.
Do you have any pictures for comparison?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Can you explain how that's more efficient than the previous 200 cell.
Do you have any pictures for comparison?

The catalyst has a larger diameter compared to most low cell count units. This means the unrestricted air path is very large. Catalyst selection included quite a bit of work on our end which lead to this unit. Ultimately we saw no measurable difference over no cat at all on the MaxR, which is our highest output in-house 2.0t. So, given the performance and quality, it was a natural choice.

Last edited:

alr GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Improved stage II file?

It's free with our downpipe and free if you purchased stage one anytime before today.

So, judging by your signature, you're grandfathered in and will get it for free.

Arin,
I presently have an APR downpipe purchased and installed last June,
Is this new Stage II tune an improvement over my existing Stage II tune.

The stage II tune graph lists the output is 321ft lb Torque & 280 HP (on 93 octane gas) which is higher output with the EA888 Gen 3 engine, than what the previous version Stage II tune reported at 300ft lb Torque & 273 HP on the EA888 Gen 1 engine (on 93 octane gas)

I notice by comparing the two charts from your website, the torque curve is quite different, the new chart shows the peak torque 2500 rpm as opposed to peak torque at about 4300 rpm on the previous chart.
Peak HP on the new chart at about 5450 rpm, the previous Stage II chart shows the peak HP at about 5900 rpm

Would flashing my present set up to the new Stage II tune be of benefit?

alr GTi

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Will the new 400 cell cat make it easier to pass emissions or should we still expect to have to swap out downpipes when the time comes?

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
I have one of the early (ordered as soon as it was released) RSC TBE setups, will this down pipe mate up to it and if so do you consider the changes worth an upgrade from the old APR down pipe?
Also, I was part of the group that had pretty bad fitment issues with my exhaust. I stopped by you guys shop one day and they got it perfect, I'd rather not mess with it but I like shiny new things.

reshwitz

Ready to race!
I've placed my order for this downpipe. The amount of hate directed at APR for being 'overpriced' is laughable. AWE's catted downpipe is $850 and Millitek sells theirs for $950. Yes, you can buy a catless raceland pipe for $200, but not everyone is into their car smelling like a box of rotten eggs. Even a catted 42dd or Billyboat downpipe will run you $600 or more.

I'm not here to knock APR, just to reply to your post only. There are catted downpipes, albeit with lower cell counts (200 cell is typical), that sell for $400 - $500.

Bender1

Banned
Arin - if you have an issue with my post I will happily discuss it like gentleman in public. I have given you nothing but opportunities to do the right thing over the years and this is another one I extend to you!

PMing other people won't get you anywhere and I want answers, publically.