GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinions needed: Part out car or sell as is?

Fissionx

Time to get back into an e46 M3. The GTI is cool and all (even stg2) but dollar for dollar the M3 is a much better buy. Much more capable than even a stg2 GTI with coilovers. Sure you can dump money in a GTI to make it fast but in the end it's still on a golf platform.
So - part out the car (Back to factory as much as I can) or sell as is. I'd like a rough estimate (from you all) as to what the car would fetch now with all mods, OR in stock form. I'll post a list so you all can reply with a rough idea on what the modifications would fetch if sold here, online.

CL Post:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/6162576778.html

2011 GTI DSG base coupe with 70,000mi

Car price:
Modified as-is:
Stock Form:

Modifications:

Performance:
APR Stage 2 software tune
CTS Turbo Intake
Godspeed downpipe(with resonator)
MagnaFlow catback exhaust
Autotech Insert
GFB DV+
Twintercooler front mount intercooler setup
Audi R8 coilpacks
NGK colder spark plugs (better spark)

Interior:
AWE Vent Boost Gauge
KrautoLed Interior Lights
Stainless GTI Seat Handle Inserts
Maryland Flag Mirror Wrap
Sid Mount Sub Box
Pioneer TS-SW 2501 10" Shallow Sub
Rockford Fosgate PBR300x1 Amp
Speakers

Exterior:
30% Window ting
Updated LED tail lights
Color Matched Side Markers
Color Matched Rear Reflectors
Nokya Yellow Fog Lights
Yellow Lamin-x Fog Light Covers
Euro Plate
Chrome Grille Stripes

Suspension:
Avid AV-06 wheels with 235/25/17 tires all around ($1,500)
H&R Super Sport springs
Koni performance struts and shock absorbers
Pendulum engine mount (to reduce wheel hop and vibrations)
Stiffer suspension bushings

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Should be pretty obvious, part it out. Unless you have to pay someone to remove that stuff, it's nearly always worth it and you'll make more $

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Should be pretty obvious, part it out. Unless you have to pay someone to remove that stuff, it's nearly always worth it and you'll make more $
99% of the time this. Parting out will always net more money. You will never see the cost of mods back but most people will not want to buy a modded car or will not want to pay what you think is fair for your modded car because they are looking at the KBB of regular unmolested gti's.

So you could ask the price you want and if it sells to someone great but if you dont want to part out it may take some time or you will have to take less than you want to sell the car as is.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i just KBB your car... and
private party in very good condition is 10k

So the 14.5k with mods is probably fair for all your mods but im not sure if they will give you that you may have to sit or compromise

Marco'sGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

+1 on this. Unless the stock component is damaged or will hurt the re-sale value, taking the time to put stock parts back on and selling your aftermarket parts will have a nice return value. Anytime someone does a part out here, almost all their parts are usually bought for good prices.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
partout.

My cobalt ss had around 15-20k worth of upgrades on it, around 15k were removable; i was trying to sell the car for 10k with everything (which is a steal) and noone would touch it since KBB the stock car was worth like 5k lol. I'm sure you've heard before that upgrades do not increase the value of the car.

I parted everything out and made over 10k on the parts even after sourcing new stock parts to replace some of it.

Then sold the car for 5.

Takes time and yes you have to deal with everyone ticking your balls about buying parts then dropping out but it's totally worth it. Also makes selling an 'oem' car much easier and hassle free than everyone questioning everything about the car.

Add up all your removable parts, take the new price of them and try selling at about 75% value, take offers once a week passes or drop anoher 10-15%.

Do your homework on shipping cause that will bite you in the ass - you can use ebay or fedex websites to get rough estimates online.

Fissionx

Perfect I guess that's the plan. Will I be able to sell or transfer of the software tune? Everything else should be pretty straightforward I think I would only sell the full exhaust system the intake piping and front mount, the wheels but everything would stay with the car. Agree?

How much are these parts new vs used?

Found an 05 M3 SMG I'm picking up tomorrow if all goes well. You don't want to know what I'm paying for it... (less than the GTI)

Cheers still much love for the VW brand and honestly would love to have a VW daily driver under $3000. Volkswagen or Audi what would be your top pick ?

partout.

My cobalt ss had around 15-20k worth of upgrades on it, around 15k were removable; i was trying to sell the car for 10k with everything (which is a steal) and noone would touch it since KBB the stock car was worth like 5k lol. I'm sure you've heard before that upgrades do not increase the value of the car.

I parted everything out and made over 10k on the parts even after sourcing new stock parts to replace some of it.

Then sold the car for 5.

Takes time and yes you have to deal with everyone ticking your balls about buying parts then dropping out but it's totally worth it. Also makes selling an 'oem' car much easier and hassle free than everyone questioning everything about the car.

Add up all your removable parts, take the new price of them and try selling at about 75% value, take offers once a week passes or drop anoher 10-15%.

Do your homework on shipping cause that will bite you in the ass - you can use ebay or fedex websites to get rough estimates online.

Marco'sGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Perfect I guess that's the plan. Will I be able to sell or transfer of the software tune? Everything else should be pretty straightforward I think I would only sell the full exhaust system the intake piping and front mount, the wheels but everything would stay with the car. Agree?

How much are these parts new vs used?

Found an 05 M3 SMG I'm picking up tomorrow if all goes well. You don't want to know what I'm paying for it... (less than the GTI)

Cheers still much love for the VW brand and honestly would love to have a VW daily driver under $3000. Volkswagen or Audi what would be your top pick ?

You also need to look at shipping rates. Smaller stuff, like the GFB+, side markers, boost gauge, audio equip, etc. will be cheap shipping, and that stuff always sells on here. The heavier stuff will get more costly, so definitely look for local pickups first before shipping. For anything you still have the stock part for, put them back on and sell the aftermarket part. Suspension is a little more of a pain, but will still get you more money back, unless you don't have the stock parts anymore. From the forum here, depending on the mileage on all of the parts, you could be looking at 50-75% +/- return value. Lower mileage and better quality could get you better value. Expect people to ask for pictures too. If you still have stock wheels, put those back on and you could get ~650 for the Avid ones.

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
Part out. Idk if this helps with you pricing it for sale but I just bought out my '14 dsg from a lease directly through VW finance with 21k miles for $14.9 before taxes.

Jaber

Modero
You don't. The person who buys your car next has the option to pay APR a fee to get support and be able to get updates (if any) on the tune.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
How do I sell or transfer my APR Stg2 tune?
put it in stock mode when you go to sell.. and maybe throw a note in the owners manual stating "hey this car has stage 2 apr tune on it, its currently in stock mode, the pass code is XXXX. If you're interested ;]"

or something along those lines.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
It depends on how much work you're willing to put in. I just recently sold my GTI and by parting out all the aftermarket stuff beforehand, I probably ended up with an extra grand or two in my pocket. I've found that even enthusiasts aren't always excited to buy a modded car; people (generally) like to buy stock cars and either keep them that way or mod them themselves.

Pooley

Ready to race!
Parting out is definitely extra work, but the lower the price of the car the easier it will be to sell. It's​ seems that once you pass $6-7k you lose cash customers and get into people that need a bank loan for purchase. Once that happens your odds go down if a bank gets involved since they won't allow a loan on a car that's technically worth half of what it's being sold for. I had this issue years ago when I privately sold a used car for $14k. I got lucky and eventually got a kid in the Navy that had a blank check used car loan from Navy Fed Credit Union, but had some potential buyers that couldn't get my price from the bank.

Also, the more work done to a car means more has been messed with that may not have been done right. If a car is sold as stock people would see it as safer and less of a risk. Most parents wouldn't allow their teen to get a modified car but would consider a sporty relatively stock car. Things to consider.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk