GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles do you expect your GTI to last?

How many miles will your GTI last

• <100k miles

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 100k - 150k

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • 150k - 200k

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 200k - 250k

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • >250k miles

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Shopping for a mk6 GTI and curious how many miles you expect your car to last before repairs are simply too expensive if it's given proper routine maintenance? Not how long you'll keep it, how long it'll last?

Trying to figure how many miles is too many miles for purchasing if I'll only put ~5-7k per year on it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My mk4 gti started to turn to shit after 100k miles. I was unemployed a couple times when I had that car so I didn't maintain as well as I should have. I'll still be getting rid of my mk6 before 100k though. I'm at about 69k right now and I bought it with about 19k 4 years ago. I moved a lot closer to work though, so I won't be doing 12k miles a year anymore, probably closer to 6k.

I broke some teeth on my sprocket and stretched a chain on my mk4 at 111k miles, so that's the biggest reason I want to get rid of this thing before 100k miles. Especially with the shitty tensioner they put in these things. I'll probably replace the tensioner in a couple oil changes anyway though.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Some parts are time and weather sensitive. Other parts are usage sensative.
Examples, rubber just dries out over time. So mounts and bushings over time.
Interior stuff is more usage, as well as some engine parts, like needing carbon cleanings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

corydd

Go Kart Champion
My GTI had over 100k when I sold it, still going strong. As long as you take care of it, it will last.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
My car just hit 49k and Ive been keeping up with the maintenance. Cosmetically the car is immaculate but I know that doesnt mean much. I got the car new and Ive been changing the oil every 5k since the beginning. All other maintenance is done on time or early. Car still runs like new, would love to get another 100k out of it.

Get a 2013 or 2014 that has maintenance records and continue to properly maintain it

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone for the comments and votes. Sounds like the vast majority feel between 150k-200k is average so if I find something near or under 100k and my driving habits I should be able to get 10 years out of it if I want to and keep up with all the maintenance. Thanks!!

joelerv

Shopping for a mk6 GTI and curious how many miles you expect your car to last before repairs are simply too expensive if it's given proper routine maintenance? Not how long you'll keep it, how long it'll last?

Trying to figure how many miles is too many miles for purchasing if I'll only put ~5-7k per year on it.
I'm a 20,000 mile a year commuter and Knowing that I purchased a 2014 used. I know I will do the proper timely maintenance because I expect to keep it as long as possible. (realistically, way over 200k miles). This year I put 21k miles. No issues. Stock. It's all in the maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I'm a 20,000 mile a year commuter and Knowing that I purchased a 2014 used. I know I will do the proper timely maintenance because I expect to keep it as long as possible. (realistically, way over 200k miles). This year I put 21k miles. No issues. Stock. It's all in the maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yeah not even maintenance will save you from all the TSI issues. Water pump and timing chain tensioner. If your timing chain tensioner has been replaced or is the new version you should be fine. But even the new version water pumps are failing. Fuel injectors and throttle body's etc etc etc.

And to answer the OP I'd say 120-150k miles if I'm lucky. This ain't no Toyota that's for sure.

Also make sure carbon cleaning is part of your maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yeah not even maintenance will save you from all the TSI issues. Water pump and timing chain tensioner. If your timing chain tensioner has been replaced or is the new version you should be fine. But even the new version water pumps are failing. Fuel injectors and throttle body's etc etc etc.

And to answer the OP I'd say 120-150k miles if I'm lucky. This ain't no Toyota that's for sure.

Also make sure carbon cleaning is part of your maintenance.

Dont forget the cam bridge screen blowing out and getting suck in an oil passage causing your camshafts to seize destroying the head. PCV quietly failing causing excess crankcase pressures to blow out the rear main seal, expensive repair, or needing to reseal the cam girdle/valve cover which requires locking the timing components to even remove. $$$ Or if you're DSG, random clutch pack, DMF or mechatronic failures results in repairs that can cost thousands of dollars.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Dont forget the cam bridge screen blowing out and getting suck in an oil passage causing your camshafts to seize destroying the head. PCV quietly failing causing excess crankcase pressures to blow out the rear main seal, expensive repair, or needing to reseal the cam girdle/valve cover which requires locking the timing components to even remove. $$$ Or if you're DSG, random clutch pack, DMF or mechatronic failures results in repairs that can cost thousands of dollars.

Yeah I forgot pcv that's pretty common too but I installed a catch can so I don't have to worry about that. I've been trying to fix the weak points little by little. Oh and electric fan failure is another one too! Happened on both my mk5 and mk6 gti.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
i have about 130K miles on my CW & I would say 93% of that is on the highway at various speeds. I've replaced the intake 3x under warranty, replaced right rear bearing, left tie rod, TOB/clutch done @ 44K miles under warranty and I'm on my 3rd cracked windshield. I replaced the tensioner/chain last year.

Got a little bit of wear on the drivers seat left bolster but I couldn't be happier. Next up is to do the PCV next week as preventative keep going and maybe the injectors? Not sure if those are worth doing or not. I'm only stage 1.... want a DP and not sure if i'll truly benefit from a CAI or not.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i expect to get mine to over 150k because i maintain it well but drive it really hard all the time and thats what they like

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Considering I see a lot of old Jettas and golfs on the road still that are riced out to the max I expect the mk6 to last quite some while. Of course with proper maintenance.

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
I have about 126k on my 2010 CW right now. Having to do a lot of maintainece lately on mostly items that wear over time, and had to have the dreaded rear main seal replacement for leaking oil. Checking one item off the list at a time.
Bought the car at around 52K. My plan is to head for 200K miles, or just keep it as long as possible. Even if i end up with another car replacing it for daily duties eventually. I still love driving it as much as ever.

I always get motivated to keep rolling when i see mk 3-4-5 Jettas/golfs etc rolling around running well.

MakiNn

Passed Driver's Ed
I am really surprised by the low number estimates, if taken care of these should last well passed 250k hell my A4 had 248k when I sold her, my mothers tdi has 320k now and is still going strong.