GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Roof Rack issue - Opinion

James9449

Ready to race!
I have several Thule base racks and accessories for vehicles I’ve owned during the past 20 years. I’ve had no problems with any configuration. I’ve mounted bicycles, boats, luggage and work equipment, including ladders, pole saws, etc. But I decided to go with a new set up, use some of the accessories I have and then sell most of the other pieces on Craig’s list.

The Thule system I bought for my ’11 GTI came from Sun & Ski Sports (www.sunandski.com) during one of their three annual 20% sales promotions. Actually, every vendor who sells Thule has the option of discounting 20%, so it’s a matter of finding a dealer willing to give you that pricing. Anyway, I had shopped around, and these folks had the discount -- and as it turned out, they have great service to boot. They will price-match, as well.

So for a late model GTI, here’s what someone might consider budgeting for a new Thule base system on a late model GTI:

Thule Product Description Price ( 20% off)
--------------------------------------------------------------
480 Traverse Foot Pack ( 4 ) $ 140
1323 Fit Kit for 480 ( 4 ) 56
LB50 Square Load Bars ( 2 – 50” ) 64
544-4 Lock cylinders ( 4 ) 45
Thule Fairing ( 1 – 44” ) 68
Shipping 5
------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL $ 363

As for other manufacturers’ systems, I seriously considered the Rhino Rack ( from Australia ), the OEM Rack ( a Thule, from Sveeden ), the Yakima (from Washington state in the US) and the WhisBar. Thule was not the least expensive nor the most costly, maybe not the best looking. But my own experience with Thule and component re-use were major factors in my decision.

As to the noise issue? Sure, roof racks DO increase the noise inside the cabin, just how much depending on rack design and what’s being carried. And regarding the loss of mileage efficiency? Sure, a rack WILL decrease mileage to varying degrees, whether naked or fitted with options and loads. SO WHAT? Just mount the rack, carry what you need to transport, then take the rack off. No big deal, as far as I’m concerned. You want to advertise for the manufacturer of your rack or just show off that you have stuff and can carry it, go ahead and sport the rack everywhere you go.

But obsessing about decibel level or aerodynamic drag is just silly, IMHO. It seems to show a tendency to turn a reasonable consumer evaluation and product choice into a lengthy scientific study. Not really useful, in my book.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
pictures??

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I'm not really sure what your issue is either.

And on your last point, some designs are quieter than others. Some are more sturdy than others. I've had many set ups too, and found these both to be important factors depending on how the rack is being used.

Good luck with whatever your issue is.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Is this a cleverly disguised ad?

James9449

Ready to race!
No, not an ad or boost for the Sveedish rack folks. Just thought I'd put it out there for those who needed at least one rack configuration and pricing. The rest is just my opinion regarding some of the earlier posts I'd seen on the Forum when I first joined. Didn't mean to waste everybody's time with this post. And although I've always known I have serious issues, it seems that this ain't one of them, by the replies in this thread. My bad . . .

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
OP, do you have a sunroof? My dad has a rack on his Subaru Legacy, and it basically rendered the sunroof useless. Anything over 30 and the noise and chopping is unbearable.