GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing dead turbo

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
The turbo will outlast most parts in your engine bay. I'd say it should be close if not last of your worries.

If your DSG hasn't been serviced that would be where I would start first.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
My sister's boyfriend just traded in his Subaru Legacy 06 with 150k miles on the stock turbo... Still pulled hard with the given mileage and the car falling apart "around" the motor, lol.

He maintained the car well though. In the end, maintenance is what will be the difference in long lasting turbo and supporting components as well.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
He maintained the car well though. In the end, maintenance is what will be the difference in long lasting turbo and supporting components as well.

Most important thing.
I change my oil every 5k not 10k like vw says.
Check fluids once a week usually.

WAP

Go Kart Champion

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
VW Spec SYNTHETIC oil, frequent changes, somewhat sensible driving and your turbo should last much longer than 100K miles. I had a chipped TDI New Beetle with 265,000 miles on the turbo. Ran perfectly til the day it met a curb

dudeimbetter

Good to hear folks, many thanks.

I now feel encouraged to investigate tuning more seriously. Friend of mine whose views on cars I greatly respect said this: Recommend against any chip tuning, your concerns are correct. Internal wastegate turbos are not meant to take extra boost.

Agree?

Uberryan

Banned
Lol oh please, some of us have been tuned for over 100k miles.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm def gonna do it. Stage 1 seems like unreal screaming value.

How you think a stage 1 GTI would fare vs a BMW 135I?

If the 135 is tuned, you're gonna lose.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.

I now feel encouraged to investigate tuning more seriously. Friend of mine whose views on cars I greatly respect said this: Recommend against any chip tuning, your concerns are correct. Internal wastegate turbos are not meant to take extra boost.

Agree?

No. Head over to GolfMkV forums and see how many of those tuned guys are well over 100k miles with no problems. Turbo failure is extremely unlikely on these cars, tuned or not.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Stage 1 is great value. Just to feel "better" about the car's overall potential against 95% of everything out there that isn't driven as a basic commuter car.

corydd

Go Kart Champion

Agree?

Sorry, but your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. The stock turbo can handle all the extra boost that comes with Stage 1 and 2 without a problem. Big tuning companies like APR do thousands of hours testing their products to make sure they're safe and reliable. I've never even seen a thread regarding a stock turbo dying. I would highly recommend at least going Stage 1; it's really how this car should've come from the factory.

Last edited: