GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What pressures are you running in your winter tires?

aimalick

Ready to race!
did a search and came up with nothing.. just put a new set of Blizzak WS070's on my '10 GTI, what pressures should i be running? figured about 35 lbs but wasnt sure if higher pressures were better with the softer compound/sidewall.

thanks in advance!

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Good question. It's still too warm in Maryland for Blizzaks, but I just figured I'd run 38 lbs like I do the DWS Contis. I am anxious to see what the car feels like with Blizzaks on 16" rims as opposed to all-season tires on the 18" Detroits. Will probably switch over in early December...

BP11

Banned
I run 38psi on my Michelin Alpin PA3's. Haven't had any issues with the side wall or abnormal wear - this is my third winter with them now.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
In 2011, when I had Zaks on my steelies I ran 38.

Mid 2012, I picked up a set of Falken Ohtsus FP7000s and I think I have those set at 38 too. Anywhere between 35-40 PSI is a good range for snow tires it seems.

silverstone007

Passed Driver's Ed
tire pressure in for the 18 inch size is 38 psi but for a 16 inch if the load index is a little higher so you should set them at 35 psi cold ,if the load index is the same then keep the same pressure ..

Last edited:

green hell

Ready to race!
38 psi in my dunlop sp 4d.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I never understood why our cars required so much tire pressure considering their size/weight. 38psi for 18 inch wheels with our sidewall height is probably a good idea to protect the wheel. I was always under impression that you add a pound or two based on your cars curb weight (especially in winter). So with our golfs at 3100lbs, recommended pressure should be anywhere between 31-33 (for normal size tires/wheels, like 16" winters') At least this is what I've done with my previous cars based on the info found on TireRack years... ago. Any reason (besides body/roll because race car) you guys run this much pressure on smaller wheels?

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
16" wheels/tires - I run 33-35 PSI.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I never understood why our cars required so much tire pressure considering their size/weight. 38psi for 18 inch wheels with our sidewall height is probably a good idea to protect the wheel. I was always under impression that you add a pound or two based on your cars curb weight (especially in winter). So with our golfs at 3100lbs, recommended pressure should be anywhere between 31-33 (for normal size tires/wheels, like 16" winters') At least this is what I've done with my previous cars based on the info found on TireRack years... ago. Any reason (besides body/roll because race car) you guys run this much pressure on smaller wheels?

I always air-up my tires to above 35 psi. They seem to wear better with less wear on the edges of the tire. I pushed 38 psi on a set of 18" Conti DSW's and go 45000 miles out of them with about 4 tire rotations.