GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas cap and check engine light

emanes

Hi,
I have a 2010 2.0 with 66K miles. Recently I noticed the check engine light came on after my husband put gas in the tank. When I went to tighten the gas cap, it wouldn't tighten all the way - I can continue to turn it and it clicks, but never stops. Also, if I remove it, there's not that sound of pressure being released from the gas tank, and the engine runs a little rough.
I'm wondering if I can just get a new gas cap (and gasket?) to fix this, or do I really need to take it to the shop because of the CEL?
Thanks for any advice!
Sue

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Sounds like a normal gas cap to me...I mean I don't twist my gas cap on until it stops turning, it just needs to click a few times. I even just went outside and gave it another turn, I don't think they tighten and stop turning like you think it should...unless you're really cranking on it maybe. I've never tightened my cap past more than a few clicks.

I also don't get the pressure release every time, so that's normal.

It's possible you just didn't tighten the gas cap enough and that's what gave you the CEL.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If you are on a budget you can buy the big O Ring seal for the gas cap from VW for alot le$$.

To test if it is your gas cap and not the N80 valve causing the problem you can spray the big O Ring seal on the gas cap with WD40 which will swell the seal slightly.

Cheers !

emanes

Update

I took the car to the dealer...turns out the check engine light was on due to an issue with the intake manifold that is covered by warranty (yay!). While they were replacing that, they cleaned carbon from the intake valves. It's running noticeably better now.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I took the car to the dealer...turns out the check engine light was on due to an issue with the intake manifold that is covered by warranty (yay!). While they were replacing that, they cleaned carbon from the intake valves. It's running noticeably better now.
how much did they charge you for the carbon cleaning?