GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mobil 1 Oil Deal

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Nice. They must've extended it because I did this back in July, I think.

Note: It's limited to 2 rebates per household. Hope you have trustworthy friends/family!

gavinfla

I visited Wamart on my brothers advice and looked at all the oil brands an liked the prices, but no 5W-40W.... they has 0W-40 but no good for south florida. I like to do 10k till oil change. I would like to put 90$ bucks in my pocket per change... oil quality is key. I'm not going back to the days when 1500 - 3000 miles oil changes to expensive, besides havev to add a gt. Around 3k so the additives in the oil are kept up.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I visited Wamart on my brothers advice and looked at all the oil brands an liked the prices, but no 5W-40W.... they has 0W-40 but no good for south florida. I like to do 10k till oil change. I would like to put 90$ bucks in my pocket per change... oil quality is key. I'm not going back to the days when 1500 - 3000 miles oil changes to expensive, besides havev to add a gt. Around 3k so the additives in the oil are kept up.

I would definitely not be doing 10k OCI's on a GTI especially with the heat. Unless you have a used oil analysis to back it up. 5k OCI's are normal, but 10k on a turbocharged engine is crazy. I don't know a single vw 502 oil that's good for that much mileage.

On a side note, mobil 1 is practically a 5w-40. It does just fine in the heat.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
10k isn't 'crazy', it's the factory recommended service interval. If you do a lot of short trips and city driving, though, it's not a bad idea to do it more often.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
10k isn't 'crazy', it's the factory recommended service interval. If you do a lot of short trips and city driving, though, it's not a bad idea to do it more often.

FWIW, I seem to recall VW oil change interval was 5K back in the day before they started including "carefree maintenance" in the sale of the vehicle when they conveniently switched to 10K.

Pretty sure it was the same engine too, might've been on the 1.8.

Can't find the link to support that though. 5K oil changes are small price to pay for piece of mind.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW, I seem to recall VW oil change interval was 5K back in the day before they started including "carefree maintenance" in the sale of the vehicle when they conveniently switched to 10K.

Pretty sure it was the same engine too, might've been on the 1.8.

Can't find the link to support that though. 5K oil changes are small price to pay for piece of mind.

I don't know anything about the switch, but I don't disagree that 5k is cheap insurance. Especially when pretty much everyone's driving habits qualify as 'severe'.

If it was the 1.8T, the 5k interval could have had something to do with their sludge issues.

gavinfla

I would definitely not be doing 10k OCI's on a GTI especially with the heat. Unless you have a used oil analysis to back it up. 5k OCI's are normal, but 10k on a turbocharged engine is crazy. I don't know a single vw 502 oil that's good for that much mileage.

On a side note, mobil 1 is practically a 5w-40. It does just fine in the heat.

I've been told by my dealer to do OCI at 5k but 119$ each time plus what evey else they find would tax my pocket book to much. But i don't ignor good advice and start doing OCI at 5k DIY to see if i can do it. My local Napa has the Moli 502 8.xx$ and the large container 36$

aj_law

Go Kart Champion