GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #29
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
If you don't learn at autocross? Never heard that one before...

I haven't done an HPDE but from what I know, it is good in that you do dozens of laps of the track over the course of the day, vs. 8 or so with autocross. They usually/sometimes have cones that mark turn-in, apex, and exit points so that you can get used to what the proper racing line is through a corner. It's faster in speed but slower in "action" in that during an HPDE you will have more time to plan out your driving line, vs. autocross where it is so fast/tight that you don't have much time to plan your line if you are inexperienced.

But yeah you should definitely be learning a lot at autocross. Those skills directly transfer over to track use, and vice versa.
agreed 100%^

Going from hpde first to autox was pretty insane for me, lol. It was like I had all the time in the world to think at HPDE, and then at autox, it was like “hurry, hurry, hurry!!!!”, but most people do it the other way around (learn autox then go track), which makes sense really. I’ve seen autox-ers do their first track day and do VERY well actually, so I do agree that those skills will transfer over.

At a track day, there is more time to think (brakes, shift, turn, power) for the most part… and yes, KVN is exactly right, many tracks have cones out for braking and apex indicators for turn in, apex point, and exit/track out (GET ON THE POWAAAHHH), but I know going to my only HPDE this year in Oct, after doing all those autox days, it felt like I had an eternity to make decisions and do things in the car, lol.. and yes, definitely notice the higher speeds.

The hugest benefits of track days is the high speeds (that can backfire on ya, right!?!? Lol) and the actual amount of driving time is pretty epic, but yes, you pay for that difference. You also do not have to “work” like in autox, so definitely some differences all around. I enjoy them both.

Preparation – I highly suggest upgraded brake pads and perhaps rebleeding the system. I am not too aggressive on braking, and I even got the A3 a little mushy out there with stock rotors and stoptech street pads, ss lines, and DOT4 fluid that's only a year old or so. Many guys try to be very late and hard on the brakes.. not good as a newbie and definitely not smart on a practically stock car, so keep that in mind too. But the beginner group will be ideal for well, the beginners on here, to really get out and have fun. It’s not a race.. you will pass faster cars than you, and slower cars than yours will pass you – don’t worry about it. No one is keeping track, no trophies, no prize money, no bishes. It’s for fun.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
word. It's mostly just drive time for me. My statement came out wrong, I did learn at autox, but how much can you really learn and retain in only 8 minutes of drive time throughout a 6 hour day?
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #31
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

yeah, that part is difficult. Guys like Dave (and now KVN) help doe!

forgot to mention, that at HPDE's you can get a free instructor as well. just have to ask usually. also helps to find someone who has a similar car to yours if at all possible, just like Landballs did for us.

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
word. It's mostly just drive time for me. My statement came out wrong, I did learn at autox, but how much can you really learn and retain in only 8 minutes of drive time throughout a 6 hour day?
Word. More time/repetition is always good. Just know that at an HPDE you will likely not (and shouldn't) be pushing your car to its limit, compared to autocross where you will be doing so almost constantly.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #33
jay745
Mod Flanders

^ yeah I am fully aware of that Kev. Autox I had the mindset of "meh what could go wrong"

on a track the mindset would be "If you fuck up you won't have your racecar anymore"

so yeah, I will be the slow guy on the track enjoying myself and learning while being very cautious and safe.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #34
shdwblugti
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2016 non DSGhey R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
yeah, that part is difficult. Guys like Dave (and now KVN) help doe!

forgot to mention, that at HPDE's you can get a free instructor as well. just have to ask usually. also helps to find someone who has a similar car to yours if at all possible, just like Landballs did for us.
Instructors are very helpful
Carson has a couple HPDE under his belt with his GTI, might be a good instructor candidate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia1925 View Post
The elite and smart ones don't get fucked. Us plebeians do........... Thanks Obama!
shdwblugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #35
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
^ yeah I am fully aware of that Kev. Autox I had the mindset of "meh what could go wrong"

on a track the mindset would be "If you fuck up you won't have your racecar anymore"

so yeah, I will be the slow guy on the track enjoying myself and learning while being very cautious and safe.
Nice. Which HPDE are you going to? I want to do an ACC one that's not too close to an autocross.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #36
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwblugti View Post
Carson has a couple HPDE under his belt with his GTI, might be a good instructor candidate
carson has gone full retard with his car and tracking. i'm sure he will be at most of the events this summer. And with a built motor and new k04
Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #37
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Who is Carson?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #38
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Who is Carson?
he's the guy who started the thursday night meets. Has an awesome mk5 that has like 60,000 track miles already. He has been busy. Was at his place a few weeks ago and saw what his winter plans for the car are. He has his work cut out for him
Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #39
shdwblugti
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2016 non DSGhey R
Quote:
Who is Carson?
White mk5, many stickerz on his car, full beard, used to go to Tuesday meatz
Look at the Thursday night thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia1925 View Post
The elite and smart ones don't get fucked. Us plebeians do........... Thanks Obama!
shdwblugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #40
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Quote:
Word. More time/repetition is always good. Just know that at an HPDE you will likely not (and shouldn't) be pushing your car to its limit, compared to autocross where you will be doing so almost constantly.
indeed.. for me, I'm driving at about 7/10ths for track days, and more like 9.5/10 for autox.. and then 12/10 for karting, lol. You can see it varies by overall "risk" involved

Quote:

http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance

something to consider^. I've never used them, but it may help calm some people down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwblugti View Post
that^

Quote:
Who is Carson?

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #41
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Das Sticky
Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #42
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

YES'TH

No GunKata, no care.

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Tags
fwd > rwd, i never like tuna tbh, tuna = 1 guy 1 cup, tuna beat a 215hp is300, tuna beat a 224hp wrx, tuna is a fhag, tuna is a penis master, tuna is james hunt, tuna is nico, tuna races slow cars, tuna works at party city