GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello from Vancouver! Intro with Pics!

siagolf

Ready to race!
Hi All!

First off, just wanted to say what a great community we have in this forum! Being new to VW's and the GTI, I've definitely learned a tremendous amount from all of you. What a great source of opinions, ideas, information, insights, and laughter we have here at GolfMK6! :thumbup:

A little background: I joined in January 2010 to learn about the MK6 GTI and to get people's feedback and experiences on the car. After a lot of reading, I placed an order for a 2010 GTI that wasn't supposed to arrive till late-May/early-June. :( I (im)patiently waited and kept learning more and more about the car counting down the days to delivery! :mad0259: Luckily, my dealer called me in mid-February to say a GTI has come available and that I could take delivery in late-February if I wanted it! I got all over that like white on rice -- it was EXACTLY the same build as I ordered - 2-dr, 6-spd, Deep Black Pearl, Tech (includes Navi, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, MDI), Lux Leather (includes leather seats, sunroof), and 18" Detroits! :happyanim:

I actually started ordering parts for the car even before the dealer gave me the good news. So I had a nice little stash piled-up that was ready for install whe I finally took delivery of the car! It was a beautiful morning here in Vancouver so I decided to take some pics before heading into work. Please excuse the sub-par photo-quality, I was rushing and don't have a DSLR (yet) so these were snapped with a simple point-and-shoot.

Let me know if the pics are too big/annoying and I'll replace them with less-res versions. I've got a few more things planned/ordered for the car and will post more pics once they're ready! :)

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the pics, and please do share your thoughts, comments, feedback etc.! Thanks for stopping-by! :thumbsup:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Hey, good to see another Vancouverite here! You missed the GolfMkV/GolfMk6 meeting on Sunday (Mar 7)... we went out to Belcarra Park for a nice twisty drive! There were two Mk6's at that meet, and I see that this number is going to grow!

Did you take your front plate off for the shoot? I noticed you got yours from Cowell VW - are you around Richmond a lot? Did you get your flash at RPI?

And where is that photoshoot location?

jaygti1

Ready to race!
Ahhh, nice! You got the neuspeed wheels, I was looking for more pics of those! And the H&R kit looks really good too. How's the ride quality? What shocks are you running?

sweetsandman

Ready to race!
Car looks sexy as hell!! Just curious though...if you went aftermarket with the wheels anyways...why'd you spend the extra dough on the detroits? Just curious...

Can't wait till I get one of these things!

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car looks sexy as hell!! Just curious though...if you went aftermarket with the wheels anyways...why'd you spend the extra dough on the detroits? Just curious...

Car was probably fully-optioned, including the Detroits, judging from the packages included (Lux AND Tech). Could've done a dealer trade-in, but perhaps as winter wheels since we do not face really severe winter weather in Vancouver.

TDI110

O_o
Very nice car man, and nice wheels! I do have ONE little, tiny, thing of criticism. And it's regarding the Deutsch license plate. You got the TUV and Bundesland stickers reversed, the green sticker should be at the top not bottom :O Aside from that enjoy the GTI!

siagolf

Ready to race!
Very nice car man, and nice wheels! I do have ONE little, tiny, thing of criticism. And it's regarding the Deutsch license plate. You got the TUV and Bundesland stickers reversed, the green sticker should be at the top not bottom :O Aside from that enjoy the GTI!

you are sooo right about this! I got the plate and stickers separately and it was a 50/50 gamble as to which sticker goes on top and which goes on the bottom! :lol:

thank you for the kind words -- much appreciated! :)

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Nice photos and like the mods.
Just curious, what weight savings per wheel did you get when going to the forged wheels?

siagolf

Ready to race!
Did you take your front plate off for the shoot? I noticed you got yours from Cowell VW - are you around Richmond a lot? Did you get your flash at RPI?

Thanks for the welcome! :) It'd be great to meet more of the locals sometime soon -- especially since the weather's been cooperating, we should setup a meet & greet photoshoot!

I told Cowell not to pre-drill the bumper for the front plate until I brought my Euro-plate in. They installed it while I did the paperwork when I took delivery. Yes, I get hassled by cops...some (most?) of them are good in a way that if you show up to court (challenge the ticket) and show them your front plate zap-strapped on, they'll rip up the ticket on the spot. Otherwise I just take my chances and if they ticket me, fine.

siagolf

Ready to race!
Looks awesome! :thumbsup:

I love the euro plate on the front :clap:

Thanks Bro! :) I can PM you my contact for the front-plate...it's authentic from Germany and they can print any text you want on it! They got a ton of different styles too for the various registration-types throughout Europe!

siagolf

Ready to race!
Ahhh, nice! You got the neuspeed wheels, I was looking for more pics of those! And the H&R kit looks really good too. How's the ride quality? What shocks are you running?

Thanks Bro! :)

H&R Touring Cup Kit, in my opinion, is perfect for how I use the car most of the time -- spirited daily driving! Ride is definitely stiffer and aggressive turns flatter, but definitely not to the point that your lower back and kidneys are sore after going through a particularly bumpy, rough road. The cup kits also come with shocks that are matched to the springs as one package.

siagolf

Ready to race!
Nice photos and like the mods.
Just curious, what weight savings per wheel did you get when going to the forged wheels?

Thanks Clean! :) I tried scribbling a dog-kangaroo hybrid creature to match the cat-bunny original on your driveway, but alas no luck! ;)

The Forged RS10's come in at 18.9lbs at 19"...tremendously light and strong. For those getting aftermarket wheels, please go as light as you can with the size+design that you like and your budget!!! The performance gains are definitely noticeable!!!

siagolf

Ready to race!

Thanks Bro -- much appreciated! :)

I was thinking the same thing, but if I do sell the car down the road, I think it'll get more value with the 18"s. Roastpuff is right as well -- availability of an optioned-out car with 17"s is very very limited, and chances are you'll need to go with a factory order if that's what you want. :(

jaygti1

Ready to race!
I was in the same boat, the car that was available had the 18's even though I'm going to be replacing them and their rotund 30lb weight.

I'm currently considering the neuspeeds or OZ super/ultra/whatever/leggeras.