GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How/Where do you rest your Gas Cap?

Nitron

Ready to race!
I've only filled up my new GTI a couple times. After I unscrewed the gas cap, I was left wondering how I should rest the cap without scratching the paint. I know the cap is tethered to the body, but there was no place to hang it while I'm fueling. Am I missing something here? What do you guys do?

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
There are a couple of notches on the cap that allow you to hang it from the filler door.
That's how I do it anyway. Not a fan of it either. There should really be something to hang it on on the inside of the filler door.

RABBIT FUR

Ready to race!
The first thing I did was use some side snips and cut off the tether. The cap will never scratch the paint if it can't touch it. Then go old school and set it on the pump when fueling up. Just don't forget it when your done.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
There are a couple of notches on the cap that allow you to hang it from the filler door.

Otherwise, I hang it on me balls.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
this is actually funny, never thought of it. i just usually gently led it hang on my car. i don't think our cars will scratch that easily?

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I'm with you. It's a pain in the rear. I tried to rest it on top of the gas door a few times after I got my GTI, but (1) it takes more time than it should to get it to sit there and (2) it's not stable. The few times I tried it, it ended up getting bumped and then falling and banging into the body.

Therefore, I just unscrew it and gently rest it against the body. No chance of banging it and having a hard impact if it's already resting there.

dwagner88

Ready to race!
FYI the notches don't work. It will eventually fall off and scratch your paint. You are better off just letting it hang gently against the paint. I truly hope that Ford's capless system catches on in Europe. It is way more convenient.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
I set mine on the cap with the notches as designed. Mine has never fallen off and it works. I do understand it could be better though.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
There are a couple of notches that allow you to hang it on the filler door.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
living in NJ FTW :happyanim:

I'm not sure how that is a win considering it doesn't solve the problem, it just lets someone who doesn't care about your car deal with it.

Personally I just hang it over the door gently. I know the paint on our cars isn't the most durable but come on, it's a daily driver and it's a PLASTIC gas cap. I have been doing this for 2+ years and haven't had an issue yet.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
I'm with you. It's a pain in the rear. I tried to rest it on top of the gas door a few times after I got my GTI, but (1) it takes more time than it should to get it to sit there and (2) it's not stable. The few times I tried it, it ended up getting bumped and then falling and banging into the body.

Therefore, I just unscrew it and gently rest it against the body. No chance of banging it and having a hard impact if it's already resting there.

Exactly.