GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enlighten me: CPO 2013 GTI For $19,999 a good deal?

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Did the car already have the 4 yr/40k mile service w/DSG fluid change? That service is over $1,000 at the dealer here which I don't look forward to if I buy a 2013. Was it a CPO with the 2 yr warranty?

Thanks for sharing your purchase and thoughts.

To be honest, I don't know. I would like to think so considering that was 26K miles ago, but who knows. There wasn't really any warranty talk when I bought the car. But after being around the forums and seeing some of the issues, I might look into an extended warranty.

I bought it at a BMW dealership. Former owner upgraded to a BMW and traded in the GTI. It was bone stock though.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
On the mainland no doubt. In Hawaii, there are only two dealers and after much negotiation they won't go below $25,900 for a base 2016 DSG. They don't get many in every year. I did see someone from Hawaii on VWVortex that got a base model in Hawaii for $24,500ish but he was a repeat customer and had a family and friends certificate.

Do the big year end rebates from vw not apply to Hawaii? My buddy picked up a base 16 dsg for 21 last month. Might be worth it to buy in socal and stick it on a boat? Google says you can do it for under a grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the big year end rebates from vw not apply to Hawaii? My buddy picked up a base 16 dsg for 21 last month. Might be worth it to buy in socal and stick it on a boat? Google says you can do it for under a grand.

I've researched that route but having to pay the 5% higher sales tax and registration twice plus shipping would negate a substantial portion of the value.

Those big $5-6 off MSRP deals are just not here. But to the dealers' credit, there are only 13 GTIs for sale in the entire state and 4 sold last week alone. So they clearly have no need to mark them down.

I'm hoping a good deal on Craigslist comes available at a better value.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
I've researched that route but having to pay the 5% higher sales tax and registration twice plus shipping would negate a substantial portion of the value.

Those big $5-6 off MSRP deals are just not here. But to the dealers' credit, there are only 13 GTIs for sale in the entire state and 4 sold last week alone. So they clearly have no need to mark them down.

I'm hoping a good deal on Craigslist comes available at a better value.

Why would you pay the registration and tax twice? We've bought several cars out of state and you only pay it in the state you're registering in.

Why would you pay the registration and tax twice? We've bought several cars out of state and you only pay it in the state you're registering in.

Really? I was reading other threads and people mentioned having to pay for registration both in the state they bought it and when they brought it back to their home state. I'll definitely look into it more.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Really? I was reading other threads and people mentioned having to pay for registration both in the state they bought it and when they brought it back to their home state. I'll definitely look into it more.

Heck no. I bought my mk6 in New Jersey and immediately moved to Texas. Registered and paid taxes in Texas only.

The person that purchased the GTI paid the full $19,999 or so the salesman said. I guess my offer the $18,500 looked pretty paltry in comparison.

They have a base 2013 Golf 2.5L that I may go test drive to feel the difference between that and the GTI. This forum has so much great information on both cars.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
You'll feel a big difference between the gti and the 2.5. If you're going to modify the car look at the mk7 golf 1.8t as well. They're putting down good numbers with a tune.

Last edited:
You'll feel a big difference between the gti and the 2.5. If you're going to modify the car look at the mk7 golf 1.8t as well. They're putting down good numbers with a tune.

I'm not seeing many of those being sold as used yet except for a couple which were previously rental cars. That CPO 2013 Golf 2.5L is $15k with 7,000 miles.

Thanks again for all the advice!