GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used 2012 Autobahn... what would you pay? Should I be wary?

Flippy

Ready to race!
Looking at purchasing a 2010-2012 GTI with the Autobahn package (or the 2010 equivalent) and came across a pre-owned 2012 with a little over 1,000 miles at a dealer not too far away. Asking price on the car is 29,951... or essentially the price of a new one, which is ridiculous.

Any thoughts on what a good offer would be for this car? Also, feeling a little wary about purchasing a used car with only 1k miles on it, strikes me as though it was either returned for a reason or used as some sort of dealer vehicle. Figured I'd ask on here as I can't seem to find a website that gives prices on used 2012's.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Are they offering it as a CPO? Might be worth that of you're getting an extra 2 year warranty of out it. I paid around 29800 out the door for my '10 autobahn in April with 9200 miles and CPO. Shop around, you may be able to find a dealer that will do better on a brand new one with better financing options too

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The first question I would ask is why is there a used 2012 car w/ 1k miles for sale. Its a bit suspicious.

darkxghost

Ready to race!
Hmm that is suspicious.. 1.5k is like 1 month. Doubt a dealer would use an autobahn as a dealer car

walker

Go Kart Newbie
check the carfax. Any dealer serious about selling the car will get you one for free. In my 'travels' I found a similar deal- 2012 1k miles looked 'new'. But the carfax revealed an incident.

I talked to the dealer and found out that someone backed into the hatch while parked. Supposedly it was just a scratch, but since it was a brand new car the owner made a big deal of it and got the entire hatch door replaced. So it showed up on carfax as a 'major' accident. That was the story anyway. I passed on it.

darkxghost

Ready to race!
also, i would just get a new car. 1.6k miles with you being the second owner... if you are making payments anyways, would settle for the safe route. + its YOUR car

Zach84

Ready to race!
I can't see what state you are in(on tapatalk on my phone), but in FL they sell you the car before you are approved (dumbass law) I saw many cars down there listed as NEW with a decent amount of miles on them. When I questioned one dealer when I was test driving the car why it had 750 miles on it, I was told person X "bought" the car, then didn't get approved for the loan, or interest rate ect so they gave us the car back (which is legal in FL). I asked how long did they have it, was told 2 days. How the hell do you rack up 750 miles in 2 days before actually owning the car! Needless to say I walked away from that car!

walker

Go Kart Newbie
^^^ That sounds like a great way to rent a car for free!! Take a nice road trip across the state, then give it back to the dealer. I'd avoid that car too.

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
I can't see what state you are in(on tapatalk on my phone), but in FL they sell you the car before you are approved (dumbass law) I saw many cars down there listed as NEW with a decent amount of miles on them. When I questioned one dealer when I was test driving the car why it had 750 miles on it, I was told person X "bought" the car, then didn't get approved for the loan, or interest rate ect so they gave us the car back (which is legal in FL). I asked how long did they have it, was told 2 days. How the hell do you rack up 750 miles in 2 days before actually owning the car! Needless to say I walked away from that car!

I would have put on my trustee yarmulke and got that price down some.