GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Wheel/Tire Fitment

AngstyPotato

Hey guys,

I'm new to all this so I'm a n00b. (Been trying to read around.)

I'm due for new tires and I'm looking at either the Continental DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

I have Detroits and I'm trying to understand my options..

If I keep the Detroits, do I need to go with 225/40-18?

I'm also planning on lowering a bit soon with H&R Sport Springs.

If I did this and got a set of 18x8 wheels, what would be my options for tire size then?

I'd like the setup to be tucked and as wide as possible without scraping.

What tire size would be "flush"?

Roctre

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I'm new to all this so I'm a n00b. (Been trying to read around.)

I'm due for new tires and I'm looking at either the Continental DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

I have Detroits and I'm trying to understand my options..

If I keep the Detroits, do I need to go with 225/40-18?

I'm also planning on lowering a bit soon with H&R Sport Springs.

If I did this and got a set of 18x8 wheels, what would be my options for tire size then?

I'd like the setup to be tucked and as wide as possible without scraping.

What tire size would be "flush"?

To start yes stay with 225/40/18 with the detroits. The sport springs wont tuck tire at all they still have a slight gap. If you did 18x8 you would just want to stay 225/40/18 if you want to tuck a little bit but I think when you start going really low you have to start running streched tires. For flush get some 18x8.5 et45 which will be nice and flush and look good and not rub with a 225/40/18.

AngstyPotato

To start yes stay with 225/40/18 with the detroits. The sport springs wont tuck tire at all they still have a slight gap. If you did 18x8 you would just want to stay 225/40/18 if you want to tuck a little bit but I think when you start going really low you have to start running streched tires. For flush get some 18x8.5 et45 which will be nice and flush and look good and not rub with a 225/40/18.

Understood.

So then i guess my question would be:

What are some recommended 225/40-18s?

The DWs only come in 235, and the PSS seem a bit expensive.

Roctre

Ready to race!
Understood.

So then i guess my question would be:

What are some recommended 225/40-18s?

The DWs only come in 235, and the PSS seem a bit expensive.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR8ECSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Those are what replaced the DWs. I just got some hankook v12s which are pretty decent summer tires and they are on sale/rebate for $107 each at tire rack with a $100 gift card. They might be just $100 off with discount tire on ebay because thats where I got mine from for 384 shipped in a 245/40/17.