GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSS vs. AS/3+

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Alright, so I have gone through my fair share of tires over the course of my GTI ownership.

Let me start out by providing my driving habits. I live in sunny Southern California where it is 70+ degrees for ten months out of the year. We don't see a whole lot of rain (other than this past winter, which was great for us), so this comparison isn't necessarily trying to figure out which type (summer vs. all-season) of tire to get, but more so what fits my needs. Of course, I do enjoy a canyon drive once a month, and a spirited drive on the back road every few weeks. Here's a quick overview of my past tires.

Hankook V12 Evo K110 (Max Performance Summer Tire) - great dry weather grip, but I noticed after I got halfway through the tread, the performance dropped quite a bit. Maybe they fixed this with the Evo2?

Continental DWS (Ultra High-Performance All-Season tire) - the dry weather grip had a bit to be desired, but the overall performance, longevity, and comfort was a big plus for me.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Max Performance Summer Tire) - the best tire I've ever used by far, and I think everyone who's ridden on them can agree to an extent.

Now this brings me to my latest conundrum. My car in it's current state is basically a Stage 1 commuter car. I drive 25 miles a day for work, 95% of that is highway.

When I had the Continental DWS all season tire, I noticed a rather impressive increase in fuel economy, up to 4-5 more miles extra per gallon (per the cars reading). Another thing to consider is the treadwear warranty. The Pilot Sport AS3+ offers a warranty of up to 45,000 miles, while the Super Sport offers 30,000 miles.

I feel like all I need would be the Pilot Sport AS/3+ as it should provide above-average dry-weather grip, longevity, and comfort.

Of course the Pilot Super Sport are, again, just about the best tire I've ever used for dry grip. But, do I need them? Again, 90% of my driving is easy highway or city driving.

These will be the same price for me when purchased new.

Any insight? Has anyone had both tires? I feel the consensus will be PSS, but I'm looking for some additional advice.

Last edited:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I have both. AS3's are what you want. They do 85% of what the PSS's do but will last longer.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
.93G out of an all season tire (as3+) is sensational. That's better than my summer-only Indy 500s.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
.93G out of an all season tire (as3+) is sensational. That's better than my summer-only Indy 500s.

That is quite astonishing!

I had basically made the mental decision to get the AS/3+, but it was a tough choice not to choose the PSS.

I'll be putting an order in within a few weeks, thanks fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voidopolis

Passed Driver's Ed
I've driven on both. My GTI currently has AS3's because I wanted them all year round (Ohio = Snow) and I loved my PSS's. The AS3 summer performance is excellent. wet was good. No issues. Winter driving was fairly poor, so I swapped over to dedicated winters on steelies. the AS3's have been a good tire for me, the have plenty of grip when needed. They even survived two days of track sessions @ mid-ohio and still have tread left - but they are roached on the sidewalls. The'll need replaced this summer.

Longevity hasn't been as good as what I got out of my PSS's (its my summer tire choice for my RS4), and I agree, the PSS is a much better summer tire. excellent characteristics all around. but I was impressed with the overall performance of the AS/3 - especially given the way you are looking to use them.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
My summers are PSS and the rest of the time I run AS3. I can tell you that AS3s are a solid 90% of the PSS, with better treadlife. Going forward, I may just run AS3 all year round and have a dedicated track tire.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Awesome guys! I was thinking too that the AS3 summer performance would be around 80% of PSS performance.

Interesting that one of you mentioned your PSS lasted longer than the AS3 though, that's a bit concerning. But to have a warranty of up to 45k miles (at a prorate) is promising.

My car is going through quite a transformation. I was fully bolted on Stage 2 pushing 250/300 to the wheels.

I had parted the car out completely as I was planning to upgrade to an R, and then of course the refreshed facelift was announced so I decided to hold back. In that time, I figured I may end up keeping my current car for a few more years and see where I'm at.

Having gone completely stock, I couldn't take it haha. So naturally I began adding just a few small pieces so please my desires. I do a lot of mountain biking so I wanted the car to be more useable, for lack of a better term

I felt that, looking back with my Stage 2 setup with everything I had on it, wasn't as ideal for my current situation as it could be. So currently I'm sitting Stage 1 with a cat back. Slapping on some DG springs with new Bilstein Touring Shocks in the next few weeks. Rear sway bar and intake will fill out the rest of what I want.

But I do know that I will be downsizing to a 235/45/17 tire on 17x8, so that's what prompted this discussion.

Totally_Stock_Except

Passed Driver's Ed
The new Continental Extreme Contacts Sports are a good alternative to the PSS...340 vs 300 wear rating, love mine in 225/45ZR17. They're square on 17x8 rims, no stretch at all. Plush ride but killer grip. Win-win. $125 ea at Tire Rack

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rawag77

Ready to race!
The new Continental Extreme Contacts Sports are a good alternative to the PSS...340 vs 300 wear rating, love mine in 225/45ZR17. They're square on 17x8 rims, no stretch at all. Plush ride but killer grip. Win-win. $125 ea at Tire Rack

$125 per tire is a steal.

Just put these on my wife's 8V A3 with the S3 wheels (235/35R19). $50 cheaper per tire than the new PS4's and I'm impressed with them so far. Great turn-in grip and dry traction.

Totally_Stock_Except

Passed Driver's Ed
And that includes Tire Racks road hazard warranty...Discount Tire wanted $148 per tire plus another $28 ea for road hazard...

rawag77

Ready to race!
And that includes Tire Racks road hazard warranty...Discount Tire wanted $148 per tire plus another $28 ea for road hazard...

Yep did the same thing with the Conti's. Bought from tirerack then had Costco install for $18/tire. I would bet discount has a hard time matching tirerack's prices now that they include the road hazard.

Totally_Stock_Except

Passed Driver's Ed
I had them shipped to Dave's Ultimate Auto in Pflugerville for mount/balance...they did it for free! I love Texas...I scheduled an alignment with them just because...