GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Performance and Competition Tires

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
With warmer months rapidly approaching, I decided to put together an info thread on popular Extreme Performance and Competition tires. I will include the more popular Extreme Performance tires and as many of the Comp tires as makes sense for the MK6 application and to brands/models carried by Tire Rack. If you have any specific requests for additions, feel free to ask.

Extreme Performance Summer Tires
You want extreme dry street performance and are willing to trade some comfort and hydroplaning resistance to get it.
Not to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, in snow or on ice, or at high speeds in deep standing water, these specially tuned tires combine big-block tread designs with aggressive tread compounds and reinforced internal constructions to emphasize dry road response, traction, handling and high speed capabilities for serious driving enthusiasts.

BF Goodrich g-Force Rival

UTQG: 200 AA A
Molded Tread Depth: 7.2/32nds
Tread Pattern: Asymmetrical

Initial testing and reports on the Rival are very encouraging and exciting as BFG returns to the segment it invented in 1988 with the KD. Look for this to be a popular choice at your local autocross. Full tests are to be performed this spring and summer.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

UTQG: 180 A A
Molded Tread Depth: 9/32

The RE-11 has been a perennial favorite, and for good reason. The RE-11 is very easy to drive at the limit . It has a good blend of wet (for an Extreme Performance Summer tire) and dry traction. It has good wear characteristics and a civilized ride quality.

Dunlop Direzza DZII

UTQG: 200 A A
Molded Tread Depth: 8 or 9/32nds
Tread Pattern: Directional

Due to the success of it's ultra-popular predecessor the Star Spec, the arrival of the DZII has been anxiously awaited by enthusiasts. Full tests are to be performed this spring and summer.

Hankook Ventus R-S3

UTQG: 140 A A
Molded Tread Depth: 9/32nds

The RS-3 possesses excellent dry lateral grip and steering response. Grip under acceleration and braking are not quite as impressive. Wet grip is also limited.

Kumho Ecsta XS

UTQG: 180 AA A

Perhaps one of the more under appreciated Extreme Performance tires available. The XS provides very good dry grip, specifically lateral grip. A little limited in acceleration and braking as well as wet traction.

Toyo Proxes R1R

UTQG: 140 AA A
Molded Tread Depth: 8-9/32nds

A favorite of many SCCA Street Tire autocross classes. has a very good blend of dry and wet (for an Extreme Performance Summer tire) grip. Has a reputation for performing well in cooler, dry conditions but can overheat easily.

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

UTQG: 180 AA A

Excellent dry and wet (for an Extreme Performance tire) grip, specifically under acceleration and braking. Great steering response and good wear characteristics. This is the current Tire Rack dry lap record holder for a street tire. Does tend to be on the premium end of the pricing spectrum.

Track and Competition Tires
For enthusiastic drivers wanting D.O.T.-legal tires for dry conditions during racetrack, time attack or autocross competition.

Never intended to be driven on the street or exposed to near-freezing temperatures, Dry Racetrack & Autocross Only special-use tires feature racing slick type tread designs and compounds optimized for dry traction to provide the ultimate in acceleration, cornering and braking in dry conditions.

BF Goodrich g-Force R1

UTQG: 40 B A
Molded Tread Depth: 4/32nds
Tread Pattern: Symmetrical

Slick tread design with two circumferential grooves. Does not require shaving. BFG does recommend a proper heat cycle prior to use. Slightly longer wear the Hoosier R6.

BF Goodrich g-Force R1-S

UTQG: 40 B A

Slick tread design with two circumferential grooves. Does not require shaving. BFG does recommend a proper heat cycle prior to use. "S" Sprint compound for Sprint/Autocross/Time Attack. More ultimate grip than the R1 but wears more quickly.

Hankook Ventus Z214

UTQG: 40 C A

Two primary compounds: C51 Medium-Track/Road Race C71 Soft-Autocross/Time Attack. Does not require shaving.

Hoosier A6

Molded Tread Depth: 4/32

More rounded profile extends life of shoulders while improving overall wear. Does not require shaving. Hoosier recommends proper heat cycle for road racing but scuff only for A6 on autocross. A6 will be quicker than the R6 on larger tracks but will wear more quickly.

Hoosier R6

Molded Tread Depth: 4/32

More rounded profile extends life of shoulders while improving overall wear. Does not require shaving. Hoosier recommends proper heat cycle for road racing but scuff only for A6 on autocross. A6 will be quicker than the R6 on larger tracks but the R6 will have better longevity.

Toyo Proxes RA1

UTQG: 100 AA A
Molded Tread Depth: 8/32nds

Spec tire for many NASA race classes. Has a reputation for very long wear with good resistance to heat cycles. The RA1 is often fastest right at the end of its usable life. The stepped tread pattern becomes a virtual slick at 2/32nds. Works with a relatively wide window of setups and driving styles.

Toyo Proxes R888

UTQG: 100 AA A
Molded Tread Depth: 6/32nds

One of the more streetable competition tires. Can be driven to the track if necessary. Tends to be faster than the RA1 but with a narrower sweet spot.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nice^ thanks!

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Will the Rival be offered in OEM size: 225/40 R18? When?

GP813

Ready to race!
Awesome. Looking forward to trying out the rivals on 17" size an see how it stacks up against RS3

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
I love my Kumho xs's. These were great from the get go. Really one of the best bang for buck options.:happyanim:

They were perfectly quiet when purchased for my MKVI GTI, but now they're a bit noisy on my R.:mad0259:

I'm attributing this due to the R having a lot less camber on it, and have had this told to me as well from the place of purchase. I will be buying a new set next spring though.

BMWWW

Passed Driver's Ed
I love my Kumho xs's. These were great from the get go. Really one of the best bang for buck options.:happyanim:

They were perfectly quiet when purchased for my MKVI GTI, but now they're a bit noisy on my R.:mad0259:

I'm attributing this due to the R having a lot less camber on it, and have had this told to me as well from the place of purchase. I will be buying a new set next spring though.

In the local autox's, the XS's were MIGHTY, top 2/3 tires in the dry, but once the rain came in, they were far surpassed by the star specs/re11-shod vehicles.
If your area gets rain more than 'once in a while', it'll be worth looking into the aforementioned 2 tires with better wet-confidence.:thumbsup:

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Sonny,

Are the RE-11 out of stock in 225/40 R18 or discontinued in our size? I heard Bridgestone was replacing with RE-11a. Is A all season?

Thx

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
There is a revised tread compound version still available (not the RE11A yet). I have some stock in my Delaware warehouse at the moment for $196.00. For some reason they are not listed on the website at the moment. Just give me a call if you would like to order. The A is not all season, just a significant revision in the tread compound.

Last edited:

hilld

Ready to race!
There is a revised tread compound version still available (not the RE11A yet). I have some stock in my Delaware warehouse at the moment for $196.00. For some reason they are not lusted on the website at the moment. Just give me a call if you would like to order. The A is not all season, just a significant revision in the tread compound.

Was that freudian slip? :happyanim: