GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Clamping Force

tsmack

Ready to race!
He thinks his lack of clamping pressure is the problem.

I'm also Revo stage 3 k04. I feel like I could really use a dsg tune. I don't think I'm having any slipping issues. But the trans isn't as smooth as it was when I was stage 2.

I am extremely happy with the UM DSG tune so far. I was finding that with the K04 the only real option was M mode as the D and S modes just were not shifting at the right times. Also, with the ECU tune the redline is adjusted so even in M mode the DSG would shift too soon. I was finding myself just about to shift on a run, the DSG would shift just as I was requesting an upshift, which would result in a double shift, not what I wanted to say the least.

With the DSG tune, all modes now match properly with the K04 and ECU tune. D mode will hold in the proper gear driving around town, S mode has launch control and is aggressive yet usable, and M mode is quicker and allows for better control. Also the kickdown is removed so you can mash the throttle and not have to worry about hitting the kickdown accidentally. The other nice thing is that the DSG downshifts more appropriately to match revs and load, so there is little to no hesitation when you want to get on the throttle again. Stock the downshifting was terrible to the point the DSG wouldn't downshift at all unless you were almost stopped.

I will be running some logs soon to look at clamping pressure as UM sells that it is increased to hold more torque.

valj

Ready to race!
I am extremely happy with the UM DSG tune so far. I was finding that with the K04 the only real option was M mode as the D and S modes just were not shifting at the right times. Also, with the ECU tune the redline is adjusted so even in M mode the DSG would shift too soon. I was finding myself just about to shift on a run, the DSG would shift just as I was requesting an upshift, which would result in a double shift, not what I wanted to say the least.

With the DSG tune, all modes now match properly with the K04 and ECU tune. D mode will hold in the proper gear driving around town, S mode has launch control and is aggressive yet usable, and M mode is quicker and allows for better control. Also the kickdown is removed so you can mash the throttle and not have to worry about hitting the kickdown accidentally. The other nice thing is that the DSG downshifts more appropriately to match revs and load, so there is little to no hesitation when you want to get on the throttle again. Stock the downshifting was terrible to the point the DSG wouldn't downshift at all unless you were almost stopped.

I will be running some logs soon to look at clamping pressure as UM sells that it is increased to hold more torque.

I'm curious to see your logs.

Another issue I'm experiencing is a hesitation during a paddle upshift in manual mode from 5th to 6th gear at WOT closer to the redline. It feels as if it cuts torque and then reengages it. Shifts in all other gears are quick and smooth.

tsmack

Ready to race!
I have been playing with the VCDS software since getting my cable. I was reviewing the transmission logging options. For those in the know, I am wondering which lines to log as there are more than one. Also, do I log this in a certain gear from like 2000rpm to redline or through the gears up to redline?

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
So what ever happened here? Where is the guy from South Africa with his custom DSG tune logs?

I confirmed my clamping pressure with my HPA software (off the shelf) is increased to 14BAR in 5th gear (where it was slipping). So it looks like HPA customizes OTS software per user based on your logs.

Clamping pressure on drive is OEM which is why it's so smooth.

Looks like APR was incorrect. AGAIN. I would like to see APR back in here.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I could have sworn that someone from APR mentioned the new DSG tune would increase clamping or clutch force/pressure. I definitely notice the car being more grabby from Stage 1 DSG to Stage 2 DSG tunes (IHI K03 -> BW K04).

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
I could have sworn that someone from APR mentioned the new DSG tune would increase clamping or clutch force/pressure. I definitely notice the car being more grabby from Stage 1 DSG to Stage 2 DSG tunes (IHI K03 -> BW K04).

Arin made it SUPER clear that APR does not increase clamping pressure... and then tried to tell us all that nobody can... UNI chimed in with their logs immediately lol.

I confirmed my clamping pressure is definitely increased with HPA.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
He never said that. He just said if any other tuner is doing it, ask for proof. So either they are doing it and no one else is, or no one at all is doing it. I think they figured out how to.

There's a lot of misconception, that's all. Logging clamping pressure it really easy to do, so proving it should be easy. I'm surprised after all these years no one has. Just try it out!

We do not increase the clamping pressure on our standard [production] performance software for the DSG. However, to achieve beyond 500 Nm, clutch pressure must be increased above the stock pressure limit.

Here is a quick picture of a log for reference of a DSG equipped vehicle making 650 Nm using our Performance Software for the DSG.

Clutch Pressure vs Clamping Pressure

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for the difference is utilized terminology... but the picture posted is pretty self explanatory.

Yeah - it's just terminology though. What I was saying was APR made it clear that clutch pressure is not increased in their tunes multiple times in other posts.

After logging my HPA tune, clutch pressure has been increased. I'll start saying clutch pressure instead of clamping pressure.

tsmack

Ready to race!
I talked to APR on the phone as well and they said no clutch pressure was increased on their DSG tunes, stage 1 or K04. I have been busy and haven't logged anything, but no one answered my question about exactly what to log and how to validate my UM DSG tune.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Yes. Let's put up a logging list of parameters to log

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
I found this on the forum long time ago

Log 4th or 5th gear WOT pull and from transmission menu record blocks 10, 11, 12, and 19. This will log reported tq reading, clutch 1 and 2 pressures, and 19 is dsg fluid temp. If your not seeing over 13 bar of pressure, its all software related.

Also, log 4th or 5th gear WOT pull and form engine menu record group 1 and 120 and record the boost logs to see if there is any slipping or not.

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles: Eagles flies only with eagles!

zrickety

The Fixer
Great post. I will have to check this out too.