GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI front hub/wheelbearing replacement

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Does anybody know the latest revision part number for the front hub/bearing assembly for a 2010 GTI please? And could a different failed part mimic the sound of a failed bearing such as the drive shafts for example?? I’m at 118000 miles, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I had a bad ball joint that cupped my right front tire; it sounded exactly like a bad wheel bearing.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I had a bad ball joint that cupped my right front tire; it sounded exactly like a bad wheel bearing.

Interesting! Although I’m getting a noise that sounds like classic failed wheel bearing I’m not sure it is, it doesn’t really change when loading the bearings when turning (weaving) and I’m not 100% sure there’s play with the car jacked up, what’s the best way to check the ball joints?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Mine was making noise, so it was pretty easy to diagnose. With that corner in the air, pull the tire vertically to check for play. If there's no play in the wheel, try grabbing the control arm and moving that.

Check your tire while it's up, too. Any cupping or feathering will be obvious.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Mine was making noise, so it was pretty easy to diagnose. With that corner in the air, pull the tire vertically to check for play. If there's no play in the wheel, try grabbing the control arm and moving that.

Check your tire while it's up, too. Any cupping or feathering will be obvious.

Yeah I already checked the tyres and did a rotation of the wheels and also made sure they all were placed so they are now spinning in the opposite direction too but the noise did not change, nor did it when driving on different surfaces, I’ve just taken the car to my usual shop and they took it for a drive and checked it on a lift which highlighted the right side front bearing as the culprit, I’m going to have the front suspension refreshed as well while it’s in for the bearing, fingers crossed it fixes the noise! Thanks for the help.