GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How legit is this dealer quote (img inside)

Distant

Passed Driver's Ed
TLDR: Brought car to a dealer for 2nd opinion on intermittent starting issue. As part of their 900 point check they said I need these things as well:

https://imgur.com/a/HUQph

How can I validate the camshaft bearing item?

I had heard there is a TSB on the timing chain tensioner...$1000 just for that?

My MKVI GTI has ~103k on it, no oil leaks. I get the oil changed every 5k - 6500k miles. I'm not sure if I should be trusting this.

I'll take your 2 cents, and the opinion of "how worried" I should be.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Dealer price looks about right for the tensioner. At my local indie shop it's about a $700 job, and dealers are always more. If it doesn't have the updated tensioner you should do it, and at 103k you might as well do the chain at the same time. I'm thinking about having my tensioner done at 75k, my next oil change, and I need to consider doing the chain as well. I guess with as little miles as I'm putting on it lately I could just do the tensioner and the chain should last until I sell it. I guess there's a way to check chain stretch with vagcom but I haven't tried it yet, only read about it a little bit. Sounds like if the number is 5 or close to 5 it's time to be replaced.

I don't know shit about the camshaft bearing so I can't help you on that one.

zrickety

The Fixer
FWIW, my 2010 is nearly 143k. I don't think you should be too worried. The starter is pretty easy on these I think, you may want to to shop around if that is really the issue. I occasionally have trouble with the key ignition, it's rare but I just key off key on again and it starts right up. If you don't notice any leaks, I wouldn't bother with the extra services. 5k oil changes should be helping your chains and tensioner, if they're not making noise I would wait.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I paid around 1000 for a tensioner recently. Would do chain at your mileage

CHerna

Ready to race!
My local indie shop saved me from doing this by checking the tensioner, and confirming the revised version. They easily could have taken my money and replaced it anyway.