GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

boost pressure question

Bteege

So on my stock golf R what should my boost readings be? Ive had my APR boost gauge installed for some time now but I had some problems with the external sensor they have for it failing. I just warrantied said sensor, but it still is acting up some from the extreme cold we are having in Wisconsin right now.
Before my car would usually hit a peak of almost 17lbs of boost, but now it will only reach 13lbs on the gauge.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated thank you!

Bteege

Never even thought of the colder air being more dense -.-. that's probably exactly why, we have been at temps below zero the past few days here in Wisconsin. I hope im not already stage 1 because that would be disappointing :( I wanted to feel stock first.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Keep in mind that the colder it gets the less psi you will boost because cold air is a lot more dense than warmer air.

But unless the car has a program to sense cold temps and readjust the factory programed requested boost, it would just keep the wastegate closed until the proper boost level was reached I would think. That's how it works up here at high altitude. It's why turbo cars are so cool for high altitude, may take a bit longer to build the pressure, but they lose a lot less power than NA cars do up here.

Of course, if stock boost is 12psi than my gut would say the previous reading of 17 was an error.

Bteege

1.2 bar standard

When I checked mine, my first thought was it had been mapped, but no.... :(

So standard stock the boost will jump up to 17lbs but hold solid at 13lbs?
After mapping stage 1 did you hold boost solid through a pull at 15-17lbs?

Spinozaman

Passed Driver's Ed
But unless the car has a program to sense cold temps and readjust the factory programed requested boost, it would just keep the wastegate closed until the proper boost level was reached I would think. That's how it works up here at high altitude. It's why turbo cars are so cool for high altitude, may take a bit longer to build the pressure, but they lose a lot less power than NA cars do up here.

Of course, if stock boost is 12psi than my gut would say the previous reading of 17 was an error.

True but at higher altitudes your turbo will work harder to achieve the same boost. This is fine if your turbo has a lot of headroom but not so good if you are maxing out your turbo with a tune.