GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hmm bad review of golf r :-/

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
So basically the GTI with NO wind resistance (since the R was accelerating in front of it) can't quite keep up with it. That video was a totally stupid unscientific test. They could have spent a few minutes to find a place to do side by side. I'm not impressed by their lack of effort.

Sorry but you need to be going over 70 to do any type of drafting. And the AWD plus the extra weight will slow any car down a lot vs it's rwd or fwd siblings. The R is really no faster in a straight line than a GTI and when the turns come is where AWD will help.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

BongoML

Passed Driver's Ed
the STI is 50k after taxes and 39k starting price. and so is the mustang after taxes.

Please read the thread before posting a response :paddle:

The point I was trying to make is that it makes little sense for me now to buy a 40K $ cdn before tax Golf R when I can buy a STI or Mustang GT 5.0 for much less

Now why one would compare the price before tax of the Golf R to the price after tax of an STI or Mustang Gt is beyond me... :confused:

and finally your numbers are WRONG! :thumbdown:

STI goes for 42 463 cdn$ after tax not 50k$

Mustang GT goes for 40 500 cdn $ after tax and that's both at MSRP

11k$ of tax and fees on a claimed 39k$ car.... :lol:

lobuzz311

Passed Driver's Ed
When you look at the cars that the new R will compete against in the $35K+ price range and compare it to an already great GTI for $10K less and it's easy to understand why the review was a bit less than enthusiastic.
I was comparing the two but just can't justify the price tag, I can afford both but it comes down to a question of need and value.
I can buy a nicely equipped GTI for $26K, the R will cost $10K more...There are too many other cars to consider at that price point, doesn't mean it's not a nice care just overpriced in my view.

Why does everyone do this? You can't compare the fully loaded R at 36k to a stripped down GTI at "$10K less!!!1! OMFGWTFBBQ!" At the very least, compare it to a comparably optioned GTI, the Autobahn, at 31k. It's only a difference of 5k, then, for:
- awd
- more power
- upgraded brakes
- upgraded suspension
- auto climate
- unique styling

That seems like a pretty good upgrade for 5k...

MarvinBen

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with Candyman and PKLIMO. If you now about the Golf R in the US, you are a car nut. VW will not show R as a on their web site until November 29, 2011 so most people do not even know that VW will be selling the R. We are getting one of the first 600 imported to the US because we put cash down to get our space in line in May 2011. My wife and I want a 6 speed over the electronic dual clutch even though it will likely be slower because we have always like shifting over automatics. I know the computer can shift faster than I can but I do not realy care. We plan to drive and enjoy our R on the road with little or no time on the track. I am buying the R because it will out perform, cost less, and will be more fun then owning a BMW 328 or Audi A4 quatro. In the US can not buy a A3 with quatro with the 6 speed manual so I can not compare it to the R, but if it were available, it would be more. I do not plan to any modifications, at least not while it is under warranty because it has all the power I need. I am probably older than most of you at this site, I will be 65 in November, but I am still a car nut. Our second car is a 98 Mustang Cobra Convertible (5 speed). It is funny that many of you talk about the high cost for the R over the GTI, but there are several threads on this site where people have built very fast GTIs and R where the owners have spent way more than $36,500. These cars are probably great cars for drag racing, street racing, etc but I assume they are not driven daily, for long trips, or in bad weather. They and many of us think these modifed GTIs and R are great and most cases the owners are not concerned with the cost because they are making their car just the way they want it. In my case the R is great the way it is, I think it is a good buy for me, so I am buying a R.

IsR

In my case the R is great the way it is, I think it is a good buy for me, so I am buying a R.

Agreed. Everyone have their views. First of all this is our VW Golf.

My wife decided to get the Golf R in February and chose it over a GTI, although I inclined her to get the GTI. But she went for the R. Delivered in May/June. Keeping it stock and I guess for now no plan for aftermarket upgrades It is her work car.

I've driven and have couple of powered road cars before including 4wd and rear wheels( I can list the cars if anyone want:p) but what the Golf R have is, it's just fun to drive! For the size it's nimbly and I know there's lag but when the boost kicks in, it's a joy.

We got the 6 speed electronic dual clutch, gear change @wot lovin' the exhaust note at gear change. We're not looking for anything loud, but exhaust note are pretty good for a 4 banger. Manual and the R selector just made it that much better. Acceleration for the size must say pretty impressive. Suspension selectable comfort and sport, even though on comfort its still pretty stiff but in no way uncomfortable.Cornering on this is car is a non-issue.

I like the interior of this car, bucket seats are comfortable, steering wheels placement and all the layouts from the driver seats are ergonomically sound.

It is not the quickest to drag nor a high speed car, it's a practical car which would surprise lots of any other performance road cars out there. Enjoy it as it is.

seasideclub1

Why does everyone do this? You can't compare the fully loaded R at 36k to a stripped down GTI at "$10K less!!!1! OMFGWTFBBQ!" At the very least, compare it to a comparably optioned GTI, the Autobahn, at 31k. It's only a difference of 5k, then, for:
- awd
- more power
- upgraded brakes
- upgraded suspension
- auto climate
- unique styling

That seems like a pretty good upgrade for 5k...

Right. K04 turbo alone is $1200. Not to mention the swivel HID's for another 1k. :thumbsup:

McQueen77

Banned
at least its like, well over 30 grand... i can think of so many other cars I'd drop the coin on

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

blueevo8

Regarding the comparison with the STI and EVO. Thats a load of crap. One in my country The two above are over 5000 euro more expensive, not as refined and with shitty interiors. Yes they may be faster on the track but i can assure you that a R20 stage one with dsg will kick the ass of every stock EVO ore STI, not words, proven facts here in Romania.

An EVO GSR starts at 35K here and a STI will come in around 35k. The new golf R with 4 doors will be 35k also, so price wise it has no advantage here.
Quality wise our 2010 Touareg has had made many visits to the dealer in its 12,000 mile life for warranty work, where as our 2010 EVO has only been in for oil changes in 19,000 miles. (dont get me started on the porsche, it knows its way to the dealer with out me!)
Oh, and what happens if the EVO or STI are tuned? Apples to Apples my friend.
The R WILL be compared to the STI and EVO because it is in the same price range AND its a small AWD turbo 4 cylinder high performance car.
I still want one though!!

Last edited:

Papele

Ready to race!
This review does not surprise me one bit.

I find this so funny though. My friend and I talk about this all the time.
I just bought my mk6 GTI almost 4 months ago and he bought a 2011 STI sedan about 7 months ago.

I apologize if this has been said already but they are two different cars and you get what you pay for. When Subaru is putting together their WRX's and STI's they are looking for performance. Unlike VW who wants a balance of performance and style. The R in America MSRP is $33,990 it can barely compete with the WRX whose MSRP is $25,495. Sure on paper they have they just about have the same power but Subaru has nearly perfected their AWD and suspension. While as you can see in the article, the R is lacking. Not to mention that the WRX has a quicker 5speed for a straight line drag. So really when it comes to MSRP the R should be competing with the STI whose MSRP is $33,995. Obviously we know where that story ends.

But if you want to go really fast get an STI. Sure the interior is really lacking. My STI friend and i can agree on that part but for the daily driver with the need for speed, a VW will be well worth it. I dont know about getting an R to fulfill that desire but maybe a GTI. Perhaps an A4 with a Little more leg room for around the same price as an R ($32,500)

Dont get me wrong Im not bashing either company. I absolutely love my GTI and it fulfills every need i have for it...kind of wish i had gotten 4 doors though haha.

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
I didn't even read the review because I really don't even care that much. I'm on my third GTI (2002 GTI 337, 2007 GTI, 2010 GTI) and for me like others have stated, the balance of performance and refinement can't be beat.

I have an R on order and it likely won't see the track (I have '08 911 GT3 for that :) so ultimate performance isn't at the top of my list. I modded the hell out of my '02 and '07 with suspension and APR Stage III kits, exhaust and I'm just not interested in all that anymore.

I love the GTI interior and styling and performance meets my current needs but a bump in power with AWD (Rainy Vancouver/Snowboarding in Whistler etc) would be a bit of icing on the cake I guess.

Last edited:

SilvaGTI

Somebody stop me
I just can't believe my good friends in the US don't get the DSG. How is it that 80-90% of cars on the road in America are autos yet Volkswagen NA decide that they are going to import manual only. IMO the DSG is the best dual-clutcher this side of a Ferrari 458.
You all have a right to be annoyed because you are missing a great combo in the .:R with DSG.
Can't wait to see what some of you crazy cats do with the .:R though.