GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone 5 cable

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
no... that phone costs about 700 dollars. You only paid 200 because the phone company is financing the rest over the life of the 2 year contract.

You are correct, but how many people actually purchase phones without contracts. And the built in price is moot as long as you are using any of the tier 1 carrier services. It costs the same whether you're under contract or not.

Besides, it's really about the principle. Although my comment was facetious, it does get me upset that Apple chooses to use proprietary cables instead of micro usb's. And that the prices of adapters are relatively ridiculous. On the other hand, I guess you could use a VW MDI to female USB cable and not worry about what phone you have...

Sounds to me like you don't understand your own finances if you are complaining about that. You've wasted more money on "mods" that make your car worse.

Sounds to me like you need a hug. :thumbsup:

Boobslappy

Passed Driver's Ed
You know I always thought it was stupid for apple to have a proprietary connector until I switched to an iPhone last year and DIDNT have a problem with the connector breaking. Most of my previous mini/micro USB phones had intermittent connection/charging problems after about 18months of use as I don't feel the USB ports are very robust. Now we shall see how this lightning port holds up.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
You could just buy the lightning to microUSB adapter, but someone outside the US has to order it:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter

TPsycho

A few things
1) The change of the adapter was pretty clearly covered by Apple and the media. If it really bothers anyone don't buy the phone.
2) The new connector trumps the old one for several reasons:
a) It's dynamic and configurable. This means the pins are not static like the old pin.
b) Developers will be able to determine what each pin does. This opens up some serious cool opportunities
c) The new connector sends out a digital audio signal. BT sounds MUCH better then MDI in my car. With a proper adapter MDI will sound equal or better then BT.
d) The new connector uses a lot less space hence the thinner iPhone
3) Because of #2, any adapter well send analog sound through the original connector

Last edited:

JeffGTIMK6

Hey guys. Pretty new here...

I have 2011 GTI MKVI and my IP5 will not connect via Bluetooth whatsoever. Is there a possible firmware update for the system itself or am I just SOL... A lot of this post is pretty off topic and I didn't gain any valuable information lol.

asiantricK

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys. Pretty new here...

I have 2011 GTI MKVI and my IP5 will not connect via Bluetooth whatsoever. Is there a possible firmware update for the system itself or am I just SOL... A lot of this post is pretty off topic and I didn't gain any valuable information lol.

Jeff,
Have you tried reading the instruction manual for your car? There're steps you must go through for it to connect to the phone. If you're still have problems, you should bring it back to the dealer and they can set it up for you.