GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ruined motor at 4,000 miles

toby83404

I need help from those understanding warranties better than me (that would be all of you).....

My golf r was shifted from 4th to 1st (codes show 8,500 rpms). Without going into details my wife made a big mistake. This mishift resulted in extreme engine damage of $3,300 so far. The car has 4,000 miles and was purchased new 2 months ago. The dealer told me the entire bill is on me. What do the rest of you think??????

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Call your insurance company

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
The factory warranty exists to protect you from costs as a result of poor workmanship or poor quality parts. It is not to cover mistakes or actions that you or someone you authorized to operate the car made that cause damage. You may get the dealer to repair the car as a goodwill gesture or you can submit the claim to your insurance company.

CornRecce

Passed Driver's Ed
Insurance sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure how hi your deductible is, but they could cover it.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
It's on you. Shit happens.

That said...

She'd better put out WHENEVER you want it for at least 5 years.

Link

Ready to race!
There's not a single VW dealership I can think of that would cover damage of this nature. Talk to your insurance.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Insurance sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure how hi your deductible is, but they could cover it.

"I slammed on brakes to miss [insert mystical creature] and somehow the shifter got bumped into 1st."

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
its too bad you couldn't have cleared the codes before taking it in...

but yes, based on the evidence at their disposal, they can easily deny the work.

allset

Go Kart Champion
How would the engine be effected theres a rev limiter and fuel cut off, maybe the transmission or clutch.

what damage so far?

mine wont let me go into lower gears from higher gears above certain speeds, thought that was a safety feature in MT's