GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to Look For When Buying Used?

silvapain

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to be looking at a MKVI 4-door DSG GTI for my wife, and I'm searching for information on common problems; a "what to look for when buying used". I've searched on here and haven't found anything like that.

Any thoughts?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
DSG service if it hasn't been done. Since it can cost up to $400.

Good/matching tires.

Intake manifold replacement if it hasn't been done yet

An owner that knows that the car takes premium. Etc etc.

silvapain

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh, I should've added that the particular car I'm looking at did have the IM replaced under warranty according to CarFax.

Premium gas is NBD. My wife currently drives a GTP (Eaton M90 supercharger; takes premium), and my car is turboed as well and only takes 93 or E85.

Any information on this DSG service? Links maybe?

Thanks!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I should've added that the particular car I'm looking at did have the IM replaced under warranty according to CarFax.

Premium gas is NBD. My wife currently drives a GTP (Eaton M90 supercharger; takes premium), and my car is turboed as well and only takes 93 or E85.

Any information on this DSG service? Links maybe?

Thanks!

It is done every 40k and costs $300-400 depending on dealer. The parts alone are at least $150 if you do it yourself.

I get your wife I am speaking of the previous owner, if they didn't even put in premium they probably skipped on other things like proper oil change intervals etc.

How many miles are on the said car?

silvapain

Passed Driver's Ed
About 45K. previous lease, now it's CPO.

I'd gladly pay $150 for parts if it means not having to take my car to a dealer.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
About 45K. previous lease, now it's CPO.

I'd gladly pay $150 for parts if it means not having to take my car to a dealer.

What's the price and what are the options.

Also make sure the DSG service was done... it is not covered by the free maintenance as that runs out at 30k.

Aside from that I'd check the air filter to see if that was changed at 40k... that will be your indicator if the car had the 40k service which can cost up to $800 if done at the dealer.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I would say records.Perhaps the most important one.
looking for:
-Intake manifold replaced
-Water pump
-2 keys & valet/spare one.
-DSG updates
-Radio navi/update
-Oxigen sensor replaced
-Get the VIN # and try to check with tuners,if car ever got reflashed.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

silvapain

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info everyone.

This car has everything we'd want, except the HIDs. I can live without 18" wheels, and we don't want the navigation or leather seats.

Maybe I'll look around more for one with HIDs.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
the HID's are well worth it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think 2011 could still get it with the convenience package or whatever? not 100% on that.