GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 shifter help. Cant get stock shifter off.

Wilkz

Passed Driver's Ed
I couldn't get mines off either. I tried for about 30 min straight and couldn't get it. I'm gonna try wd40 tomorrow and see if that helps at all.

03SVTCobra

Tried liquid wrench also. Have a little movement but it won't budge even prying it with two screwdrivers like the TWM writeup suggests. Puller bent and wouldn't budge it either.

pngorba

Ready to race!
Another thread elsewhere suggested wedging a socket underneath the shifter as close to the splines as possible. Ensure the trans is in neutral with up & down play first. Then tap the top of the shaft with a hammer to help break it free.

EricVdB

Passed Driver's Ed
Could try a pulley puller, that should do it.

Mine was tight even being 2 weeks old, took probably half a dozen good hard slams before it came off.

03SVTCobra

Pulley puller didn't work. Socket under it and a tap worked. After driving it I should have just went diesel geek or left it stock.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Pulley puller didn't work. Socket under it and a tap worked. After driving it I should have just went diesel geek or left it stock.

Honestly bud, you could've asked any one of us first about the S3 shifter. I wasted my money on it along with 42DD bushings. In hindsight I could've saved my $200 and purchased the DG once and for all.

The DG unit is the best short shifter for these cars - bar none.