GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Springs

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
Currently own 2.5l golf and am deciding to lower it. I have read mixed reviews about coilovers, lowering springs etc but am leaning more towards lowering springs based on my budget. have read about H&R super sport springs, would they be worth the price? and are they a direct replacement to the stock springs without the addition of any other parts(new shocks, etc)? sorry if it is a stupid question i am still new to this forum.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Search and find the ultimate golf modding thread, that will give you some good info.

That being said, do you want more performance? Or do you just want the lowered look? If you're going to just get the springs, they end up being bouncy because they are not paired with the right dampners. Can you do it? Yes. But it might be better to save some more and get a budget coil kit or the shocks and spring combo.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
H&R Super Sports will fit/work, but ultimately are NOT designed to work with the stock shocks/struts

Do some more searching

rip steakface1

Passed Driver's Ed
vw driver gear or eibach's pro-kit work fine with the stock shocks in my experience. anything lower could be a problem down the road. i've had over 60,000 miles on stock shocks and pro-kit springs on both a 2007 rabbit and a 2010 golf with no "bounce." in fact, the 07 rabbit went back to stock springs when i parted ways with it, and the ride quality was as it was before the pro-kits went on.

DKhubs

Passed Driver's Ed
Focus on what you want rather on what you can afford, it is better to save up and get coilovers rather run springs on stock shocks. I was down the same road as you, when i first joined this forum, but ultimately i decided on coilovers and I'm glad I did. keep doing research, there is infinite amount of information on this topic online.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Driver gear springs, specially made for our cars, ie mk6's they can hold stock shocks and struts no problem. Theyll give stiffer ride and absorb bumps, and eliminate body roll

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone for the replies, ill probably save up some money for next summer and get coilovers. until then i will do some further research in terms of brands and distributors in my area. not many German car shops in southern Ontario unfortunately but ordering online is definitely an option. does anyone know of any reliable sources online?

Toomanyrpms

andysautosports.com, raceland, and pretty much any manufacturer. If you think you'd be close to buying around late november wait for black friday and you could atleast get free shipping or like 20% off.

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks man, will definitely take a look!