GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Are you Thoughts?: ECS Rear Subframe Brace

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
So I was on ECS Tuning's website to look at replacement clutch stuff and their marketing got me. I'm guessing they must've launched this lil piece of billet metal recently: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/rear-subframe-brace-clear-anodized/020802ecs02kt/.

I've been thinking about it's design (engineering background), along with sway bar functionality, and finally, design features that many aftermarket sway bars possess. The reason that I'm thinking about all of these things is because I'm trying to figure out how the added offset from the subframe affects the sway bar function aside from what's written about the product: ie positively or negatively in a more technical manner.

My thought is that it would tighten the range of motion (ROM) that the sway bar allows the suspension to move, perhaps even after adjusting the length of the sway bar end-links, and staying in the same hole if you have a sway bar that has multiple holes for example. To keep the angle of the sway bar end-links the same you could likely move up to the next-most forward hole if not already there, and try to adjust the end-link length additionally.

So, with that thought process I think that this part would likely strengthen some aspects of the subframe, and more importantly, positively affect sway bar functionality by tightening the ROM which should translate to reduced body roll. I believe that my Whiteline end-links are basically at their smallest length, so I might have to extend them a bit, or move them up to the next hole to keep the same spec for example. Of course, other than the "feel" of theorized improved performance, I'd have no scientific way to actually figure that out right now anyways which is why I'm looking for people with experience in suspension modification and such. I could build a CAD model eventually, but sims are just sims.

Next, I have to wonder how that part will end up affecting the rest of the subframe rigidity and robustness, along with the attached suspension components as well. Extending the distance between the "rigid" mounting structures and a torqued bar that is held captive by those "rigid" mounting structures now imparts a larger moment (think higher-force torque in this case) on the tabs that the sway bar fastens to on the rear subframe tube via welding.

The downside I can see is that the forward side of that u-channel piece that holds the forward suspension link has somewhat smaller bracing between the tube and itself. That would likely put more stress on an assembly that VW hopefully designed to take the increased beatings that larger hollow and solid sway bars dish out.

It looks like the Golf R rear subframe is beefier in the sense that the U channel is partially boxed, but that's also likely due to the general need to be stronger with the increased force that the 4Motion systems would put out.

Remember, this part will still increase aspects of the structural rigidity of the rear subframe flex imparted by aftermarket sway bars, hopefully the stamped steel and welds are engineered for these upgrades for the long run. Thoughts? #imightbuy

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
If you're that eager to get rid of $130, I'll give you my paypal address.

For this thing to make a difference, you'd have to be deeper into suspension mods than any reasonable person is willing to go.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Rear hatch brace would be best I think

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Ya I think Unibrace products, or similar tube variant chassis braces would prove far more effective at limiting movement in more significant ways. I'm going to get my GoPro under there to see if you can notice flex (highly doubtful) during driving and hard cornering more importantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk