GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1 pick of the new look - Utilitarian GTI

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
2011 GTI, DSG with HID, Nav, Sunroof package.

Mods:
BSH Race intake, TOP, throttle body pipe, S3 intercooler, torque mount insert, Unitronic (stolen Eurojet design that is labeled with a Unitronic serial number but technically "doesn't exist") downpipe, APR stage 2 software, ST coilovers, 18x8 wheels that are a ton lighter than stock, 17x8 lightweight wheels with snowtires, VAG COM tweaks, Hoen zenon match foglight bulbs, Golf front upper grill (no fugly red strip), rear hatch badges removed, VW accessory mudlfaps, Draw Tite hidden hitch, Thule T2 916XTR hitch mounted bike rack, OEM roof racks, the newest thing, a Thule Pulse Alpine roof box.

Plans:
2 Rocky Mounts Euro pitchfork bike holders for the roof, windows are getting tinted tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to stock suspension.

I have room for 4 people + skis and gear and once the other 2 bike racks go on I'll have room for 4 people + bikes and gear. I almost traded the car in for a truck/SUV about a month ago, I decided not to, this is the alternative.

Edit - New pic added, back on stock suspension with snow tires plowing snow through a ski resort parking lot

Last edited:

DaButcher

Ready to race!
look at the size of it... at least 2,000

:happyanim:

im regretting the day when i meet friends who bike and i will need to transport their bike as well as mine. Its so nice to just be able to throw mine in the back. Price isnt the issue its just the weight. So much weight.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
:happyanim:

im regretting the day when i meet friends who bike and i will need to transport their bike as well as mine. Its so nice to just be able to throw mine in the back. Price isnt the issue its just the weight. So much weight.

You're concerned about the weight of a roof rack?

My Thule Aerobars are super light. Extruded aluminum construction, they're not heavy at all.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
there isn't much added weight. Between roof racks, the space bubble, the hitch, and the hitch mounted rack it's maybe 100 lbs of stuff (half of that being the hitch mounted bike rack)

DaButcher

Ready to race!
i was talking about the hitch system but i just looked up the specs and it looks like it really adds only about 75 pounds, not terrible.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The hitch and rear rack is the best thing I've done to this car. My wife and I typically transport our bikes 3-4 times a week (After work and weekend rides on our tri bikes during Ironman training season, and afterwork and weekend rides on dirt single track the rest of the year except ski season.

DaButcher

Ready to race!
oh trust me i know. I subscribed to the mountain bike thread back when no one posted in it and now im too lazy to unsubscribe. So i get an email every time you go on some awesome ride and make me feel like crap for not getting out :)

who makes those wheels in the picture?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
This sunday should be Frisco to Breckenridge and back via dirt singletrack if the snow doesn't come :)

The bronze wheels are Tenzo R something or others lol

These are the 17's with snow tires

nik

Go Kart Champion
your GTI looks like its about to go to battle. and that's not a bad thing!